Who's authorized to sign contract???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerman90, Aug 27, 2006.

1. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I normally do only residential accounts but a nice commercial account has pretty much fallen into my lap. The reason I'm cautious is because years ago I did a commercial account and the corporate lawyer called me up saying that the office manager who signed the contract didn't have authority to sign. My question is: how do I know (for certain) that the person signing the contract is actually authorized to sign contracts.
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

In our contracts we have this writing at the bottom of the contract right above were they sign:

By signing below the signer represents that he/she has the legal authority to bind the Owner/Tenant to this contract:

I dunno, but the lawyer I paid asked if we do commercial establishments and I said yes. So he said put this in so you don't run into the problem above. Or, if I do I have the ability to go after that person.
  3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

whoever you authorize to sign ..................

for us it is our owner, me, and one other employee...
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

The owner, manager or authorized agents of either by signing agrees to.........

Someone gonna pay :)
  5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

6. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Just sounds like you got one of those crooked company's. That never wants to pay their contractors,and there are alot of these out there.One of the biggest pizza delivery companies in the country tries that tactic you explained all the time. Oh yeah the companys name starts with a D. You know which one I'm talking about.
  7. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

have the district manager to sign and also send it to corporate (if corporately owned) or the owner if it is a franchise to be signed, notarized, and returned before work is commenced .
  8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If it is an INC, LLC, etc then in most states it must be signed by one of the Corp officers for it to be legal. It must also have the Corp seal affixed to it.