1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who's betting on an early fall?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnguyland, Sep 9, 2005.

1. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you think fall will be 'early' this year in the Northeast (or anywhere else it's been dry)? I hope so. I love to get as many leaves out for the villages to pick up as possible so there's less hauling for me. Deadline is Dec 1, but leaves hang on longer in wet years it seems. I've already seen some drought stressed trees beginning to lose their leaves. The beech and oaks, etc will hold on until the bitter end regardless. I like early falls a lot. Even better when it's dry! Who is with me?
  2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot of my accounts had leaves covering the lawns this week.I had to set one of my mowers up for mulching already.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

We are in a dry period here in southern Va.,Some of the oaks are dropping leaves and the maples are really turning colors.I think I will have the grass hawg blades on soon to help mulch the leaves. Last year I cut grass till dec. I thnk the grass will done here by oct 31 this year
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Leaves will stay on longer in warm and wet conditions. The NE is experiencing just the opposite...early Fall IMO.
  5. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

Trees are already turning up here and the leaves are falling, mainly from the lack of water. Some of my accounts that are out in the open have had as little as 12 cuts this season, its been extremly dry since spring, usually spring it is growin like crazy and tons of clippings, this year it was very very easy, but everything is brown up here, bearly any growth at all. All I can hope for is a lota snow this winter for snow removal! payup I think its gonna be an early fall clean up for sure.

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Guess we'll just soon see. We'll be starting out aerating and seeding in about another 2 weeks. Hopefully leaves will fall just shortly after. Geeze, I'm working on plows and sanders already for the past 2 weeks. Let it snow let it snow let it snow! payup
  7. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

its coming quick here also.nuthin but a brown dustbowl.
  8. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Leaves already starting to change color. Distressed trees already falling. Will definitely have early fall.
  9. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

already started aerrations with over seed casue the leaves are coming down early this year here long dry summer. Those who just get aerration wait till later.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

We just got a couple-day break from the heat and humidity here...
    And you guys are already talking an early fall up there...

It was funny. Labor Day was the most beautiful day we have had all year. In fact I can't remember the last time the weather was so pleasant. But on the other hand, it was like someone flipped a switch. It was 90's/90's heat and humidity and it dropped to dry and 70 all at once. Heck 70 felt cold and early morning/late evening hurt a little.

Daytime temps have already ran back up. But after sundown it is noticably cooler... less humidity I guess.