1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Whos Doing Concrete Edging?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by 1BadHawk, Jun 30, 2005.

1. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

Who is doing continious concrete edging? and how is the demand for such service?

2. mole

mole LawnSite Member

I had one customer want it, took me three weeks to find a sub that did it in the buffalo area. not a great demand here.

3. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

I talked to a friend of mine the other day whos brother in law does it in southern maryland. According to him, it seems to be a service that once people see it then they want it. He says, he'll do one home in a community, then within weeks hell have several in that same community.

I think up here around me not many people know of it. I think I may have seen one home with it but thats it. I have noticed more and more people getting into mulch beds, so Im starting to think that I might be able to market and sell it around here prety well.

Not sure what the operating costs are, but I hear the customer cost varies from 3$-7$ per foot. Which sounds prety reasonable.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

You can rent a power curber, just about anyone can do it, you need a concrete mixer and the curber.

[​IMG]

Or you can form the curb yourself and pour the entire landscape at once with a pump truck.

Two or three guys with mag floats, trowels, and a few edgers can do it by hand quickly.

I used to work in the concrete industry

5. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

I didnt know you could rent them. I suppose you can also rent the different forms for it as well?

I started looking at those turnkey setups but then switched ebay to see about buying the equipment seperate. Getting only what I need, to get started. Ill have to look at the local rentals and see if I can rent one with the necessary equipment. Do a few jobs and see how that goes before I commit to buying the equipment.

Ive done some concrete work, couple patios, walk ways and such. My father in law did it for 30 years, and has helped me learn a fair amount. He has all the hand tools anyway :)

I'd like to get a closer look at one that complete, and even take a look at one being built first.

6. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

concrete edging is really big in FL, its not cheap either!!!!!!!
    I think i have heard one guy charge like 10 bucks a foot. Its resonable i guess.

7. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

We had one done in our neighborhood. I didn't really care for it. It stands out and takes your focus off of the landscape. That is my opinion.

8. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

There has been zero call for concrete curbing here in CT. However, over Easter the family and I travelled thru the southwest. It seemed that all the new installs had concrete curbing. Must be a regional thing.

9. Forest

Forest LawnSite Member

In my part of Minnesota it seems to be a rather big thing. Aside from the fact that they've only been in the area for about 2-3 years, there are now a couple of companies doing it.