Who's driving down prices?!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, Feb 21, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Had a friend come to me and ask to look at his yard and bid for just aerating. So I did. It was late, pretty dark, so I didn't measure or even get a good look at the back yard (I had a good idea of how big it was because they are all the same in this area). They are all close to 7500 sq.ft.

So since I was his friend I thought I'll just charge him $40. When I said I'll do it for only $40, he said, "$40!!!! Just for aerating. Thats a bit expensive, don't you think?" I told him NO and that I actually brought the price down for him and he still wasn't pleased. So I wonder, How do the prices for this kind of work get drove down so low?!?:confused: :eek:

2. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Tell him to go spend half his Saturday, go down, rent one, pack it home, aerate his own f***ing lawn, clean it off, fill the tank, load it back up, return it to the rental place THEN tell you 40 bucks sounds expensive.

3. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

P.S. - see my "friends, family & neighbors" thread.

4. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i normally charge double the cut and triple if it has a hill

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

holy crapola...I wont even onload the aerator for less than $75 and thats for a postage stamp lawn...this guy is a flaming idiot...steer clear of him ...forever

6. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

He just wanted it for free..

7. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I agree that $40 for aeration is dirt cheap for a alwn that size he is trying to take advantage of you and it sounds like he does want it for free.

8. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

GarPA-you won't unload for less than $75! We have to, no one will pay those prices for a postage lawn.
    Try to offer someone a good deal and still nothing, oh well.

9. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

$40 sounds very cheap to me! Almost not even worth your time!

10. seascape

seascape LawnSite Member

This is probally why i have very few friends anymore. The bigger i got the bigger the requests got. Ive done 1000s worth of discount and free work for friends and family,,, for what? NOTTA,, what do i need from them? Whats in it for me? NOTTA everytime.
    Only place youll see my equipment now is mom and dads. Period !

I get burnt everytime.

Mike