1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

WHOS FAULT IS IT if a lawn guy breaks....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Norm Al, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

.......a home owners sprinklers?

i always used the saying "how can i break a sprinkler if they are installed properly?"

i didnt cover improperly installed or improperly repaired sprinklers,,,,,do you?

ill bett bobby gets paid if he fixes a sprinkler!:)
  2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Just yesterday we were mowing one of our largest accounts (hilly 4 acre with sprinklers through out). The lady came out and said the sprinkler guy told her we need to weed eat around all the sprinkler heads each time we mow because a couple of the lids to the cannons were missing (due to mowers running over them).
    I replied that we can trim around heads maybe once a month or so & that if the sprinklers were installed and maintained properly, there should be no problem with them interfering with the mowing proccess.
    After walking to some of the heads, I pointed three that were stuck in the up position. It became clear to her that attention needed to be directed to the maintenance of the sprinkler heads.
    If we were careless & neglegent, thats one thing. But if the heads fail to return to the closed position & we cant see them in tall grass, thats another imo.
  3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree.:)
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i broke one sprinkler head in my life. it was stuck in the up position. i ran it over. customer complained. i refused to fix it. they witheld , from my check, the amount that the sprinkler guy charged them to fix it. i did not say a word, never mentioned it, neither did they. this was late in the fall. my pre paid fertilizer programs are due by february 1st. they must be paid, in full, in advance, with the due date being feb 1st. they sent me the check for the fert program. i deposited it. i sent them a check, minus the amount they stole from me on the sprinkler head deal, with a cancelation notice. they called me twice, i never returned thier calls. i saw them once while cleaning leaves a few blocks away. the guy stops and says, "are you gonna give me back my money?" i said, "oh, hi, yea, tell you what, i'll stop by when i'm done here, give me an hour." i never did, that was the end of that. if it was your fault, fix it, if not, then don't.
  5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I inform customers with sprinklers that I am not responsable for sprinkler heads or leaks in lines. If these systems are installed properly there shouldn't be any problems.

My favorite "complaint" occured last week. This guy has lines that run across the top of the ground about an inch or two from his house. He went to run the sprinklers for the first time this week and one of them was split. He called the sprinkler guys to fix it and rather than admit that they hadn't blown all the lines out before last winter they blamed it on my mower. I told the guy there wasn't a chance I could even get the mower's tires that close to the house even if I wanted to and after he thought about it for a minute he agreed.
  7. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

you FIX it period....duh?

Trying to escape your responsibility?

I'd fire you if you tried to weasel out....

They are not hard to fix....

I know, cause I been there....

Fix it and say I'm sorry....

My opinion....

We have to bear responsibility for our actions...

You broke it...You fix it...

We here are professionals,

A SCRUB would try to circumvent this....
  8. rotgg

rotgg LawnSite Member

i buy them in bulk lol
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, how much does a sprinkler cost? I do point out why it broke though, my fault or not.
  10. thill

thill LawnSite Member

We break em, we fix em.

The cost is very little and the good will is very great.