Who's getting ice that normally doesn't?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Damian, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

Here in central Texas, we seldom get ice or snow, but we've gotten a fair amount of ice these past couple of days. Normally, we would send out a notice to our customers letting them know when we expect to return to work - usually around the 1st of February - along with when we expect to do a spring cleanup and then scalping, but I'm thinking now though, we need to start off with a winter cleanup instead.

How's everyone else who normally doesn't have really winter conditions but are having them now, handling things this year?

2. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

Hi Damian

Up here in Northeast Ohio we aren't getting much winter at all, unseasonably warm temps and the precip we do get is rain and not snow. Send that cold and ice up here we could sure use it.:laugh:

3. southtx

southtx LawnSite Member

I have never seen this much ice before in san antonio but there again I have only been around for 25 years...the weather guys kept saying that we were going to get snow but that didnt happen. Other then looking at the ice melting I have nothing to do with lawns for right now....I hope the weather warms up some I was still doing once a month clean ups when all this started. All I can say is I hope we get more rain around here lord knows we need it!!!!

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

As you indicated we are iced in....temp setting around 32F and solid layer of ice over all the grassey areas. We have never missed this many days of work (3 and counting) in the last 7 years. We got the chain saws and chipper ready to start some big jobs but too much ice on the trees. At least the rye grass will not need to be cut for a couple weeks.

5. southtx

southtx LawnSite Member

I was thinking the same thing but I did not see that much ice on the tree around my area....well maybe not the chipper. Im sure yall got it a lot harder in austin then in san antonio???

6. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

I really don't know. We were told to expect a couple of inches of snow as well and of course, it didn't ahppen. I'm so disapointed...:laugh:

7. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

Sorry, but I'm trying to keep it all to myself :) I'm Texas born, raised and I will die here, but damn, I really wish we had much more winter weather than we get. Maybe it has something to do with my Germanic ancestry, I don't know, but I'd love to get regualar snow, or at least, once a year.

Back to the main question, central Texas guys, do you forsee trying to get an extra cleanup in? I'm thinking that with all the ice, there are going to be more leaves now than normal, but once the live oak trees start falling, there will be enough for a spring cleanup as well. Am I mistaken?

8. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I work in Southern California East of San Diego. We had four straight days of record lows. I don't take any time off for Winter I mow all year, the ice I deal with is from lawn sprinklers that go on in the morning and form ice. But no we rarely have ice here.

9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Most of the Oak and Elm leaves around my area of operations have already fallen.
    Tomorrow, Jan 18 the crews are going out prepped with chainsaws, sealer, ladders and hand saws as I expect some ice damaged trees.
    Also they are taking a pear burner with a stiff bristled broom to melt the ice on front steps.
    A problem we are facing right now is irrigation install work. The class 200 pipe just isn't feasible to work with much below 40* and we still have four sections left to install at a apartment complex.