Who's Going to Join Me in the Caribben w/ Rain Bird?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JimLewis, Sep 6, 2011.

1. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

dosnt that clock act dead when the baterry is the only thing dead about it?

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I built my company on installs and continuous service, it never occurred to me to walk away from a site with the clock run times saying "10/10/10/10" ad nauseam. :hammerhead:

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Always cracked me up to see the shady zone along the back of the house set for the same time as the wide open front lawn.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I think the earliest versions might have been so, but not later ones. Strictly from a design standpoint, it was elegant simplicity. Never a problem with powerline spikes, because there would have been no power supply to the circuitry in the first place. Strictly from a marketing standpoint, it was a dumb idea. To this day, I do not carry replacement button batteries.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

some had button , some took 2 AA

6. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

You missed something. What I am referring to is when I start installing a product that requires me to go back to the jobsite 2-3 times just to change run times for a customer, that product gets the BOOT.

I installed quite a few of the RB ESP-SMT controllers, and without fail had to go back to the site to re-teach the home owner how to use it. Multiply 20-30 RB SMT controllers x 2 (avg) visits back is 40-60 FREE service calls, that cost me money and time.

I would much rather post a "Seasonal Run Time" sheet above the controller that tells the home owner how long to run each zone during which season of the year.

The look roughly like this (just in CAD form):

------------------Run Time
    Zone---GPM---Wi--Sp--Su--Fa
    1-------10-----5--12---15--11
    etc.
    (kept aligning left after I submitted so I had to space with dashes)

That way you turn a "Dumb" controller into a smart controller without the guess work. The customer can then find out water usage at different run times. I also put the recommended % incase they would rather use the seasonal adjust, but that is less accurate.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  7. Wet_Boots

Come to think of it, I had a call for one of those button-cell versions, and it was dead until the homeowner schlepped over to the pharmacy for new batteries. I don't know that I ever saw any of the AA versions similarly dead-in-the-water.

One of the features of that controller that is out of step with current practices, is that you would select between operating either program A or program B - never both simultaneously.

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Wasnt original RB esp the same?

9. Wet_Boots

You got me. I got little experience with the earliest RB and Toro solid-state controllers. Haven't seen one for years (CRC or IC4)

10. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

I see where you are coming from. But you can't write off the controller because the H.O. is a dimwit! Seriously though try the Rain Bird STP+ or the STP. They are about the most dummyproof controller on the market.

http://www.rainbird.com/landscape/products/controllers/STPplus.htm