1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whos got a Stand-on

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Two Rivers, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Two Rivers

Two Rivers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

If you have a Toro Grand Stand, Exmark Vantage or Scag V Ride.. Give your input pros/cons.. and how many fit on the trailer.. These mowers are new to my area and would appericate your opinion :waving:
  2. Baytownlawncare

Baytownlawncare LawnSite Member

I picked up Scag V-ride last week. It has taken some getting used to but I have pretty much mastered the controls (never driven a zero turn until last week). The front end will pop up when I load it on the trailer if I am standing on it. I just walk behind it and load it. It seems really solid and look forward to cutting some of my larger properties with it soon.
  3. Williams-Landscaping

Williams-Landscaping LawnSite Member

I picked up my 48" v ride last week and love it. I back mine onto the trailer makes loading and unloading easier
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. yard_dawg

yard_dawg LawnSite Member

got my 36 inch v ride last week for back yards with small gates. yes it will pop the front wheels up when loading, we just back ours on to the truck each time.
  5. Puckdropper23

Puckdropper23 LawnSite Member

Great tips....I just bought a 48" V-Ride last week, but havent taken possession yet. I hadn't thought about backing it onto the trailer but I will certainly give it a try.
  6. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 48 Grandstand . Small footprint with the fold up platform. Only way to go for smaller lawns and versatility on hills and around ditches. I used to have an Exmark TTHP WB with a Proslide. I would never go back to a WB or a sulkie or a Proslide.
  7. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Have 3 GS's right now have had 4 and 3 Wrights, 1 Great Dane and 1 JD Quik Trac. Only way to fly for 3 acres and under in this area.
  8. joemower

joemower LawnSite Member

I have used the 2 Grandstands in our fleet for the past two seasons. Love them. Have two more on order. We can fit a 52" GS, 48" GS, a 48" Walker, and 2 Toro push mowers on a 16' landscape bed truck. You should be able to put at least three GS on an average trailer.

I have used both Grandstands & V-Rides. They both cut excellent. V-Rides are faster but more suited for a fleet mower. I prefer the Grandstands for their operator comfort. Either or would be a great investment. Try them all out for yourself to see which one best suites your needs. From my experience I think the stand-ons are here to stay.
  9. f50lvr2

f50lvr2 LawnSite Senior Member

I've always been a walk-behind type of guy and still think for smaller residential applications they are unbeatable. But, last year I bought an Exmark Vantage (52", 24hp) and have been very pleased.

Just like you would expect they bridge the gap between wb's and sit down ztr's. Cut quality is excellent although I do wish the 52" had available anti-scalp wheels. The comfort is the main reason I switched, I was getting too tired with the wb's and beaten up on the riders. My back pain has virtually been eliminated. Also, the weight is pretty good in that it doesn't sink in too much.

Exmark advertises that you can use the vantage as a walk-behind by folding the platform up. You can, but traction suffers dramatically. When standing on it the hillside stability is very good. My main complaints are that it doesn't stripe as well as I would have hoped, it's a bit of a gas hog with the 24hp kawasaki, and the bagging options aren't great (although no worse than a walk-behind).

Overall I like the stander-style machine, especially if you have a bad back. My Exmark was around $7k out the door. I consider it a good value compared to a full-featured rider and am happy with it overall.
  10. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Bump for more responses..... Whats better The Grandstand or Vantage?