Whos got a Stand-on

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Two Rivers, Mar 1, 2011.

1. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive got 2 wright stander fixed deck 52 inch. Had them for almost 4 years now. Just picked up a new v-ride 52 inch to replace the older stander. Stander is shorter, lighter, and a bit more maneuverable, but the v-ride has them beat with cut quality and speed. Comfort is better too, but it feels heavier when turning. Ive only had it less than 2 weeks now so I am just getting used to it. I can move the stander around just like I am walking a yard...

The only reason I didn't get another stander is that the dealer for wright in our area is no more. I wanted the zk when I demo'd it when it first came out, but alas, no dealer in this area within a reasonable distance.

I demo'd both the Grandstand and the v-ride and found the cut to be better on the v-ride but the Grandstand was smoother to operate.

2. regl

regl LawnSite Member

For several years I've used a TTHP with Proslide. I like this set up because I can step off and walk when needed. Can you step off and walk behind the GS? Thanks.

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

of course everyone has there opinions for there own conditions. i do like one thing about wrights and that is the even placement of the castor wheels and the sides of the deck. almost impossible to scalp with at higher cutting.

the toro has a trim side that is more exposed which is very helpful, but makes it easier to scalp with on that side.

4. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 52" Exmark, and I really like it. I haven't found many things that I don't like about it. Leaves a superior cut, cuts fast, and is nice and smooth to operate.

5. docjones

docjones LawnSite Member
    from WV

For all the great things I've heard about Turbo Force decks, how come I hear a lot of you guys with the Grandstands saying they don't stripe well? I am looking to buy a Grandstand soon, but I really hate to think I'm gonna have to either make my own stripe kit or buy one from Toro.

6. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I had the same set up. I replaced it with the GS. I would never ever go back to a Proslide. The TTHP would spin out on wet grass or extremely dry grass. I banged my shins occasionally. The GS leaves a nicer cut. You can step off the GS and use a WB but you seldom need to. Im not touting Toro but I am touting stand ons. They are great compared to even the best WB.

7. BigMike450

BigMike450 LawnSite Member

I've had a 48" GS since they came out and just recently purchased another 48" w/24hp motor and a 36" all have the OCDC. I have been happy the first 48" and very impressed by the 36" speed and maneuverability. I could not imagine going back to a walk behind or even back to the Scag tiger cub rider I started out with. The tiger cub used to beat the crap out of my back and hips.

I have a 16' enclosed trailr with 2 x 48" and one 36" on board with plenty of room for everything out. I know there is a striping kit available but don't really see the need.

8. joemower

joemower LawnSite Member

No worries! Go ahead and buy that mower.I think the Grandstands stripe well and I'm I guy who has used Walkers for over 20 years. You won't need a stripe kit.

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

no idea, we cut cool season here and it stripes great all by itself. very nice in fact.

10. docjones

docjones LawnSite Member
    from WV

Thanks joemower and grassman......most grasses here are fescues, ryes, and some bluegrass.....i like a nice stripe and glad to hear the grandstands do a nice job.