Who's Got Crab Grass Where There Was Grass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CLARKE, Aug 13, 2001.

1. CLARKE

CLARKE LawnSite Member

Now that the rain is coming SLOWLY, Where the grass is fried
    now MR CRAB GRASS is popping up all over the place in place of where i use to have real grass and real lawns. I got REAL CRAB GRASS. Some people not happy, some don't have a clue as to whats happing and some think the grass is growing again.
    I guess its spray time, What do you all think????? ANd this stuff
    grows way faster than real grass, KINDA LIKE WEEDS DO.:angry:

2. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Once crabgrass seeds it is pointless to spray. It is an annual grass.

We have some problems with it cause of the 11" of rain we had in May.

I spot sprayed with drive a few weeks ago before it seeded.

Here it is too late now. Any that I missed is seeding now.

3. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

Here in the midwest, I've noticed that crabgrass has come up in places that it wasn't just a month ago. Seems to be pretty healthy too. Don't know what caused it. Seems worse this year than any other year.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Once crabgrass gets started in a lawn it can be difficult to get rid of it.

Some of the ways crabgrass can get into a lawn include:

1: It is carried there on the fur of animals.
    2: It is carried there underneath/on top of your mower deck. If you mow a lawn that has crabgrass and then go to the next lawn with seeds on the mower guess who's gonna have crabgrass next?
    3: Bird droppings.

Crabgrass is an annual weed. It usually dies at the first hard frost.

Pre-emergents are great for controlling crabgrass. The problem with pre-emergents is they have a limited lifespan once applied to turf. They will usually control new seed growth for around 2 months. After that time any seeds that have not attempted to germinate will then be able to germinate.

This is why some lawns that show no signs of crabgrass after using a early season application of pre-emergence suddenly start showing crabgrass growth in August and September.

In lawns that have a crabgrass problem at least 2 applications of a pre-emergence, one early season, one mid-season, are required to start to get crabgrass under control.

A lot of people like to give their lawns a really low cut at the very end of the season. This is the worst thing you can do to a lawn in regards to crabgrass control.

Crabgrass seeds need direct sunlight in order to germinate. The taller the surounding grass is the less likely a crabgrass seed is to germinate.

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

yep. crabgrass is everywheres around here too. mainly only on the non sprinklered lawns. i hate line trimming that stuff.

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Super trimec takes care of crabgrass after its germinated. Dont use it when its above 85F tho :(

7. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Don't think it is a waste to spray it once it has seeded. It will, if left alone, get HUGE and produce millions more seeds as it matures. Spray it!
    I am looking into an idea where I will be able to train grubs to eat crabgrass-then our problems will be solved. What do you think?

8. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Let me know how you get them trained, I would like to know.:p

9. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

I just bought bought a pint of something that kills gradgrass today at lesco. $65.00 For that stuff.

10. Allyn

Allyn LawnSite Member

When I use to work for a fertlize company like Chem-lawn. We told the people to cut at least 2 to 3 inches. If the seeds don't get hot they can't germinate. Your good grass fills in thick and won't let the weeds get through. In the summer you need to water at least 15 minutes twice a day. Of course it depends on the type of grass and the soil under it. You should try to get at least an 1/2 " of water on the lawn.
    If you use pre-m. Make sure that you aerate or thach your lawns do it before you use the pre-m. or you are waisting time and money.