Who's Got Frost???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greenkeepers, Oct 3, 2000.

1. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

We got about 1/2 inch last night and they are calling for more today... Get those plows rolling folks :D

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

We had our first frost here in upstate SC this morning. Yuck and no rain in about 2 or 3 weeks
  3. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

We had our first frost in Central NJ today.
    Why do you wait to mow? Is there some reason you shouldn't mow frosted grass? What am I missing here? Thanks.
  4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

BRL - Not a good idea to mow frosty grass as the grass tissues are frozen thus enhancing your chances of damaging the grass. I have mowed grass with frost with no affect, but you never know.
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

This morning ,in Delaware, we awoke to a light frost. Roof tops and windshields had it but not too much on the lawn.
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Not only is frosted grass damaged from being stiid,it also burns it wherever you applt pressure to it,whether your stepping on it or the mower wheels are running over it.I would not ever mow in the frost,no matter what,but i see guys doing it all the time.
  7. Record all time low for the date this a.m. 26 degrees f.
  8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

same here,hit 26 this AM,glad i brough the pressure washers in last night!We had heavy frost until 10am,getting harder to get my work done with days geting shorter,and colder.
  9. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

I didn't see any frost but it sure is cold.60 degrees with the wind blowing 20 miles per hour.AHHHHH. Florida WINTER.
  10. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

Just checked, got a little frost in my freezer. Other than that, low sixties for the harshest part of winter.
    South Fla.