Who's happy in lawn care/who's not

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gr grass n Hi tides, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll bet there are a lot of folks in lawn care out there who have been happy doing it for years. So let's hear it ya'll, who's happy & for how long. Who's unhappy & for how long? What do you see as the pluses & minuses?
  2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

27 years been playin in dirt and rollin on grass.

There is nothing I would rather be doing. Every day is a new experience.
  3. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

In order to succeed in this you have to enjoy it(IMHO) because it's hard,hard work.That's why I'm going to do it and that's why I'm convinced I can be successful.
    I get so much satisfaction out of 'transforming' a crappy-looking property into one that looks beautiful.Sometimes I just sit there and look at it for a few minutes before moving on to the next one.
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I Just Sold A Major Part Of My Business And Couldn't Be Happier.
    I Think Now I'm Like A Scrub But A Well Equiped One.
  5. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I have been doing this for 12 years. I have my days when I ask why did I pick this line of work. Lately they have been very frequent because of rain and being behind. Up until this year I had been very happy, this year I not so happy. I think it's mostly because of weather, lots of rain and dreary skies. I'll keep going and maybe it will get better.
  6. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

12 yrs in lawn care and I'm thinking it's time for a change. Plenty of work, few good employees. Dealing with employees problems and their way of doing things or lack of caring has always stressed me out.
  7. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

7 years. I still enjoy it, learning new things every day.
  8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

To be in a customer service occupation like we are you have to enjoy this line of work or you will have problems. It will clearly show through to the customer if you are not happy and then they will not be happy. When you work starts to suffer your clients will begin to look elsewhere for people to take over.

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I got into this work as a result of being laid off and I am still mad about that.

but as for cutting grass, I really enjoy it.

I'd prefer to go back to work but even if I did, I'd keep cutting grass at every chance.

10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Every job has it's ups and downs. I have come up with the conclusion that every job is going to stink, it's what you can deal with more. Do I like to get dirty? No, but can I put up with it? Yes. I just like to be my own boss, and being outdoors. Weather can really get you down, and it really stinks finding good employees. I would much rather do installs and construction rather than maintenance. I know that maintenance will keep you afloat though, and hold on to it.

You just work to support yourself, and family. If you didn't have to work... I'm sure you wouldn't. :cool: