Who's in the pickle? Need advice tonight.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Uranus, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Hey all. I brought my 2000 F 250 into the dealers the other day for an oil leak. Back of the motor was wet with oil. When I bought the truck last January I bought the comprehensive extended warranty for 2 years. Well 1 year and 1 month later I'm trying to get the oil leak fixed. Dealer takes it in and tells me it is the head gasket. Well they say the insurance should take care of it and that the insurance company wants to send out an inspector to authorize the work. I bought the truck under my name and told salesman and sales manager that I was going to be using it for my business when I bought the insurance. Well turns out that the insurance denied the work and said it is because the truck is a commercial vehicle. WTF!. I got home today around 5:10 just missing the service guys to talk to them about what was going on. My wife called me at 5 just before I got home and gave me the low down cuz they called my house and not my cell. So my insurance info is in the truck with the registration so I hade to go down town and figured I would get it and read through it so I know what I'm talking about before I start making phone calls in the am. Well go into the work bays and my cab is on the lift, engine is striped down to the head gasket, parts on the floor, and I never gave them the ok to do the work. Turns out the insurance company wants them to strip it down so they can inspect it. Now I was quoted $2,800 to fix it. And they also said they broke some bolts taking it apart so they need to be tapped out. All the while I never said ok to do anymore than find the leak and let me know what it is and if insurance is going to cover it. Insurance company is the ones that said strip it down. So what happens now? Do I go in there in the am with guns a blazing or am I going to get stuck with a $2,800 bill. If I knew it was that much I would have washed down the back of the engine and traded it in for the F-550 that I want to buy in the summer. Presidents day sales are pretty good right now. Whats your opinion?

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell them your not gonna pay for it and if they won't cover it get a lawyer. They can't force you to pay it. Trading is always an option but don't let them lowball you for yours.

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I agree! You should not be responsible for the labor and damage that was done.
    BTW,
    Did you have to sign to authorize them to find the problem? Do you have a copy of that form? That can definitly help you out. I would just do my best to be calm about the situation and hopefully everything will work out for the best!
    What kind of truck is it and what engine and mileage?

4. Uranus

from Mass

2000 F 250 with almost 58,000 miles. Getting to be an older truck with low miles. Working out to less than 10K per year. Before me I think it was a plummers truck in a decent sized company. Got the feeling that they suspected a problem and traded it in. Either that or they dont like trucks with more than 50 K on them

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

That $2800 sounds like HUGE overkill for headgasket R&R.

6. Uranus

from Mass

Yea the $2,800 will but a nice dent in my plans for the spring. Just wish the touch hole sales manager would have been on his game when I told him it was going to be used commercialy.

If I end up haveing to fork over the money to get it back

7. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

If you didnt tell them to do the work i dont see why you will have to pay. I dont understand insurance though really. Insurance companies really just piss me off to no end. I dont see how you can have a customer for o lets say 20 years that pays on time regularly at lets say 2000 dollars a year for car and home insurance and they have a minor fender bender that cost 2000 bucks to fix and the company drops them. I just dont get it. Seems like they are more then willing to take your money but when it comes to forking it over for what you paid for they run. I know a buddy of mine that has a ford ranger 37000 miles on it he bought all the extended waranties and everyting to the max and he bought it new. Some how a pin or clip in the rear end came loose or something and virtualy destroyed the rear end rign gear and all. Ford refuses to fix it because they say it was due to abuse. I just dont get it

8. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

That is the way that ford does headgasket jobd now days quicker and easier for the mechnic to get to all the stuff that you can not access to was the extend warranty for Ford or a 3 party extended warranty co ? Good luck and hope that you do not get screwed to bad Now might be a great time to talk trade and let the dealer ship eat the repair bill and you will have a new ride Ford was offering 0 perecnt for 5 years but may have already ended

9. Uranus

from Mass

I wish I could talk trade with them. I put a new plow, new dump insert, and tow package into it. With only owning it for a year now I dont have much equity in it, so I would hope for them to make it a wash. Haven't seen anything bigger than a f-350 with single wheel axles on them. If I'm going to buy new then I'm going big time and getting a new 450 or 550 with landscape dump body. That's what I really need.

10. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

is it a 6.0 powersucker? they are kniow fro headgaket problems and lower block gasket problems among many other problems if it is you might try to get Ford to fix it as a customer satsfaction issue