Whos knows about trucking

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Jpocket, May 21, 2006.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Thinking of buying a triaxle, to haul with/for a friend of mine. I've been around trucks and equipment all my life but never owned one. Can someone share some of the in and outs of it with me?

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I'll tell you what I have learned. We run a tandem dump truck and a side dump tractor trailer. We have run with the large heavy construction guys with the side dump. The weekly checks are large and misleading. Overhead in running for the construction trucking industry is large. Fuel use is higher than over the road trucks. Upkeep is higher. After it all sorts out the profit margins are very narrow. Replace a tranny or add an over haul into the mix and your truckin for free for a long time. I have quite trucking for anyone but me. I have learned that trucks are a necessary evil but certainly are not a big money maker. Your mileage may be different.

3. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

^^^ What he said...we have 5 triaxles, some S/A's and some tractor/ lowbeds and thats all they are...neccessary evil. We don't truck for anyone because their is always someone that will do it cheaper...we have trucks purely for ourselves because we need to deliver material and move equipment....between rebuilds and tire, fuel and bad drivers trucking in this area anyway really sucks

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

my cousin has about 20 tri axles. he hates them and complains about them daily. he says there is no money in trucking and within the next few years he'll be selling them all. everyone i talk to is in the same boat and hates trucks. one of my customers has one of the biggest asphalt companies in nj, im talking huge and they only own about 10 tri axles because its to much of a loser for them...

5. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

What is the name of the company.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

When I crunched the numbers for a tandem axle dump its a borderline profit not even worth it. If your in the excavation bus you need a dump but to be a independant truck and thats all you do it will drain your wallet faster than a money hungry women.

I'am sticking with a small truck (F-450) and do the landscaping work I make more money cutting bush and cleaning up yards than I would hauling with a tandem axle dump.

You think of it this way its almost 4000 dollars a year for tires :dizzy:

You blow a transmission there goes another 5000 dollars you need to replace the clutch another 2000. Push the engine too hard needs a inframe there goes another 10,000 dollars.

When I did my number crunching one blown drive tire takes a good chunk out of the days profit.

7. Jpocket

As ou guys can see im looking for a way out of the lawns/landscape biz...can't take it anymore. trucking doesn't look real promising either. But then again what is nowadays? Im not about to go get a job somewhere and become an "average Joe".

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Move to the Pacific Northwest and join Scag and his Dad you can learn the excavation business.

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I certainly wouldn't go into trucking. If you specialize with like a rock slinger truck or batch mix concrete truck or something niche like, maybe that would be profitable. Just running a triax, will just keep you broke. IMHO

10. Jpocket

Yea that what they tell me. My friend also does builders supply hauling: sand, brick, stone, etc. I guess thats what keeps them from going broke.