1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

who's leaves are they

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dswegan, Apr 5, 2004.

1. dswegan

dswegan LawnSite Member

We do a yard today and while we are blowing leaves on the customer's side the neighbor tells us the leaves on his yard are our customer's too. He and she tells us that we should get them off of their yard. I refused telling them what falls in their yard is their's. These people tell me they will be in our customers yard one way or another. I informed the customer and he said he would pay us extra to pick them up. Who is right o this issue?
    If their attitude would have been better I would have done it but they were demanding. ;)

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Customer is always right (well most of the time), and he's going to pay you extra $$$ to clean em up. Nobrainer.
  3. dswegan

dswegan LawnSite Member

The neighbor next door to the customer asked us to clean up leaves on his yard because he said they came from our customers tree. I do believe legally the neighbor is wrong because of the fact, what lands in the neighbors yard is his. Isn't that right.
  4. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

9/10 of the law is possession....:D :D
  5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I believe legally, they would still belong to the property that produced them. However, how would this ever be enforced? Call the police? File a lawsuit? I don't know...
  6. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

I have told a neighbor of a customer that the reason the leaves came his way was because of bad karma, and if he would pay me 90 bucks, I could exorcise the bad karma. Somehow he just didn't think that was so funny...
  7. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

IMO, if the leaves are on your property, they are yours. But if your customer is willing to pay to go fetch them from the neighbors lawn, go get em.
  8. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member

Let me interject here for a minute. Does anyone know that pesky little devil that comes around from time to time making life miserable some days and wonderful the next? I am talking about our good friend WIND. The next time some idiot neighbor comes around complaining about the leaves in his yard, you tell him when he can stop the WIND, you will come back and remove the leaves. Until then sir or mam, shut the frig up and mind your own business.
  9. C & T

C & T LawnSite Member

Last year I completed a fall cleanup at this residential, it looked beautiful and the back yard of the neighbors (an old couple next door) was full of leaves. Well I get a call from the customer yelling at me, accusing me of dumping the bags of leaves behind thier shed and they were up set...I took my leaves with me that day and the customer's son saw me take the leaves. What had happened was that thier neighbor bagged the leaves from thier yard and dumped them behind the shed. She wanted me to pick them up (the bags) and I said if she pays or have her neighbor pay. I never got the call saying who would pay.
  10. David Shaw

David Shaw LawnSite Member

I was doing a leaf cleanup for a customer last fall. Da*% leaves were blowing in from the nieghbors property faster than I could clean them up practically. Finally just gave it up. I'm not going to spend someone elses money fruitlessly. The customer appreciated it.