who's putting pre-m already in the northeast

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SimonCX, Mar 1, 2007.

1. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

So who's already putting pre-m down in the northeast. I though it was still early but I saw tru-green putting it down 2 days ago. I don't understand why, theres still snow covering parts of the grass in my yard and the ground is frozen solid 1/2 inch down.
  2. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

I am looking at about 2 weeks. I am using Dimension so I am not to worried about getting it down to late. Balt Md.
  3. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Are we supposed to be suprised to see Chem lawn, Lawn Doctor, Weed Man, Scotts, etc.. applying a product before or after it is actually needed so the zillion lawns that each applicator has can be done on time. To the big co.s, it's all about what's right for the money, not the lawn.
  4. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I saw some fresh Tru-green flags go up in January here while we were having crazy warm temperatures. :hammerhead: I've seen some new flags here and there over the last week as well. I won't be putting anything down until the last week of March.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I learned at Tru Green,

I start the day the snow is gone. I am anxious to complete every lawn by the 10th of May. I hate it when several customers are calling me in early May wondering when their applications will be completed.
    But the snow is still deep here--about a foot--and some of it is heavy rain soaked snow. Those 5 foot tall snow banks will persist for a long time.

In some cases, we just have to leave a note and come back later for a shady heavy snowpile area.

We have data on time of application and the amount of crabgrass later in the year. Early date of application doesn't seem to make any difference.
  6. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

where in jersey are you? Where i'm at the groung is soggy not frozen. In fact it is so soggy one of my machines almost got stuck.starting in a week or 2. Stonewall 1 shot , no split.
  7. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

I'm by the trenton area, the ground is soggy but still frozen if you try to dig. I was going to start in a week or 2 also but putting pre-m in feb is alittle early.
  8. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless you name is Tru green or scotts.
  9. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

If you were to put down pre-M around here you'd be pushing thru a foot of snow, on average. Our first softball / baseball games are scheduled for the last week of March, but the kids will be lucky if they can use the fields by mid April.
  10. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

When you guys get to where your workload,cash flow,employee productivity and payroll have to be met it will become clear to you why some start early.

Ideal is just that "ideal". When weather is predictable,cash is no object and dependable trained help is abundant. We can all "do it by the book" JMO