whos really killing the industry?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by martinfan06, Jul 13, 2006.

1. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

I ask this question in part because of the credit thread I just read. People get in this industry WITH NO CLUE of what running a biz Intel's (gmac is that though gmc?) I mean come one NO CLUE. So now there out in the field working for potently GREAT CLIENTS doing half #%&* work, with no CLUE what there doing. So now that client has bad experience and stereo type the rest of us as bunch of grass whacking rednecks. I don't understand how people jump in an industry that they have NO CLUE of whats going on. I guess they see the 40000$ trucks w/20000$ of equipment and see $$$$. just a thought ,its very aggravating to see people getting in the biz I LOVE to do and screw it up for the rest of US.:nono: :hammerhead: :angry: :angry:

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I disagree, I think the idiots only illustrate how much more valuable those who know what they are doing are worth.

When a prospective client gets my introduction packet they get a pretty good idea what they are in for and its non typical. So when they see typical it helps them to understand my higher rate and why they should pay it.

Thank you,to those of you with no clue!

3. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

This isn't the only industry this is happening to...believe me...

I'm sorry but you have no clue with thinkink like this...People DON'T CARE!!!:hammerhead: They want cheap...Tis the American way...:usflag:

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

In my market people are spending 100-K and up for their landscapes. Not everyone in Phx but the market share I operate in. A 300 to 400-k landscape is not unusual. I am working with someone who is in the middle of a 1.5 mil residential landscape project, that is unusual. It is a large investment, yes they don't want to pay more than they have to. They realize it would be foolish to put someone who didn't know what they are doing in charge of such a large investment.

I don't think the industry is dying at all, hell its not even sick.

5. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

GMAC is 40% owned by GM. I am a real estate agent with a GMAC broker and a couple years ago GM sold off 60% of GMAC Mortgage, GMAC Real Estate, & GMAC Financial Services.

I don't think anyone is ruining the industry. People that want their lawn maintence done by an LCO will hire one. If the experience is bad they may be out of the market for a bit but will eventually come back to another LCO. Yeah, there are definitely some people (LCO's) out there doing lousy work, but you get that with any industry. I know some lousy plumbers too but that doesnt' stop me from hiring a plumber when I need or want one.

Another point to consider is this. Cutting grass and/or landscaping is not a real difficult thing to do. Face it, it's not rocket science. I'll bet that most members here were mowing their parents lawns by age 10. This is a business that's easy to get into, it has a pretty short learning curve, and you can make money.

I wouldn't worry too much about these guys that jump into the business. After a year they'll find out it's not as easy as they think and will be looking for another job. Just keep doing what you're doing, quality work, fair prices, and reliable and you'll be okay.

Buck

6. martinfan06

I think many people on here would disagree with that , I understand not all areas but overall average in mainly maintence not primarilly landscape installs,has taken a beating over the last 10 years.

7. martinfan06

I stand corrected about the gmac point I apologize. I guess I just get frustrated when I read things like that and you can clearly see lack of knowledge and experience.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

We all got to start somewhere and I didn't have a clue when I started but that's all just par for the course anyway. Yes, the business is easy to get into on the one hand, but also a lot harder than it looks on the other. Yes there are some who give the biz a bad name and there's been a time or two where I did it, too, but we didn't really mean that lol it was a mistake.

Far as the $20k worth of equipment, see I drive a 1986 D-250 carbureted truck and have an older and a newer Wb (you got it, NO Z) and in 5 years I would say I have built maybe 10k worth of stuff plus supplies maybe 12-14k and I worked for most all of it, nothing on credit I paid for it all except the pushblower my parents helped with that :laugh:

So yes, thank you to those who don't listen, lawnsite is the perfect place to learn everything you need to do and you don't want to do but you know something else I noticed?

No matter how much you tell the new guys, no matter how hard you preach to them, they still will make at least some if not most of the same mistakes everybody makes, again it is par for the course :rolleyes:

Ok but 100k+ for a landscape IS sick LOL!!

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

We all have to start somewhere, but I definitly see your point!

10. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

6 years on my own later... I still don't have a clue:(

But I'll tell you what I think is really funny....

I like when so-called Successful business men whine because the unsuccessful or lawballers are taking all their work.

Everything changes and always will if you are able to adapt and be successful you will consider the changes good. If you can't adapt and lose out, you will consider the changes bad.

I think this is where the thread came from.