1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whos responsible?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ALarsh, Aug 11, 2006.

Who should pay for the new tire?

1. Me

26 vote(s)
  2. The Roofing Company

20 vote(s)
  3. The Client

15 vote(s)
  1. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

So a client hired some roofers to come in and replace their shingles. They tore off the old shingles and they left nails on the lawn. I go to mow today and the Z isn't feeling right. There is a nail in the tire. No way to repair it, has to be replaced. Who's responsible and who should pay?
  2. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

fix it and send em a bill . if you were cutting and hit some nails they left and hit their truck they would want you to fix it right ?
  4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

if they refuse to pay for everything you can trying getting them to pay half.. half is better than none at all. just make sure you can find em.. my grandma had some roofers come.. it took em a day... the roof leaked. they left id say about 4 dozen nails im still finding them ... they had a box truck and they parked it in my driveway... they were doing something in it and a window fell out and shattered all over my driveway and im still picking glass up. when i tried to call them... the # was disconnected.
  5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Yeah these guys looked real shady (I saw them there a couple days ago). OLD dump truck that leaked oil all over the drive way, shirts off, smoking their cigs while working, not very productive and $500 cars parked along the street.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would bill my client...let him handle reimbursement with the roofers IMO.
  7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

This does not mean they are'nt making money. What do you expect employees to drive? Lexus, BMW's, Hummer. More than likely that is all they can afford. Be thankful that you can afford more. That might be your kid out there someday!!
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I agree especially if you can show them that there is a lot of nails in the yard.
  9. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree 100%.
  10. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

Buy a $5.00 plug kit and plug it, even if it is the sidewall a plug will work for a mower tire. Also slime it too for future nails. Just hazards of the job. You are lucky you had only one nail.