1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who's season is over?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by powerreel, Oct 11, 2000.

1. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Just wondering with fall here, what areas are about done for the year and what do we do when the last bit of debris is picked up?
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Here in Alabama we usually have work right on through the winter. The last part of Jan. and really all of february are pretty slack months because all the leaves have fallen and the grass ain't growing. There are plenty of people that call wanting one time clean-ups to fill in the voids though. Had several of them last year, probably won't do any this year cause you always get burnt, well I did anyway. Theres always something to do, I think I'll catch up on my movie rentals while the checks keep coming in, maybe I'll go camping or something fun for a change. Man I love the South.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm in Eastern Washington in a tiny town called Chelan. You might have heard of it. My season is pretty much over. I got a couple of leaf cleanup jobs to do then I'm set for skiing this winter.:)
  4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe half my lawns will get last cut the week of the 28th, the rest the following week, then its dedicated leaf cleanup with a final mow and mulch the week of thanxgiving barring any snowstorms. After that its plow snow, home projects, etc til March when it starts all over again.

Im in Southern new england, Id keep mowing but by the end of the month, with time change it gets dark around 5, lawns are frosted til 10 or later then they are wet and muddy so its not worth making a mess just so I can mulch up a foot of leaves.
  5. pace lawn care

pace lawn care LawnSite Member

Here in SE. Arkansas it's pretty much over. Not because the grass stops growing, but because people don't seen to worry about their lawns as much. Time to let the dogs out and go Squrriel hunting.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Mine is slowing down which is very unusual for Memphis. No rain, it has rained 2 times since August. Fescue is starting to grow again, but we went from 90's last thurs. to 40's on fri. and 2 frosts. Really put a stop to the bermuda and zoysia. Although the temps have gone back into the 70's which is normal, so maybe things will continue thru November as usual.
  7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Last year I had a good october. This year the cold weather has hit early in sc. It has been very dry the past 3 weeks. So things have slowed down considerbly. This year has been nerve racking. Not consistant at all. With the drought and then the rain and now back to the drought. Still doing some yards. Leaf season will start first of november and end like homers. Around Jan 15. The I hibernate until spring. Right now its frosty outside
  8. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

My season will be over mid november but contracts are up Oct31. I will mow as late as the weather allows but I don't have to. Got some stuff to clean up but weather has not been a factor....yet.

9. Redmowers

Redmowers LawnSite Member

I mowed (chopped leaves) into November last year.It cooled off earlier this year maybe one more round will shut the mowing season down in northern NY.Time to break out the snow blower and shovels.
  10. crew

crew LawnSite Member

Here in sothern MN we will be chopping leaves through mid Nov. if the weather cooperates. Then its wait for snow and keep cheering those 6-0 Vikings.:eek: