1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who's still mowing in the NE?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by impactlandscaping, Nov 16, 2005.

1. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

The lawns are still growing and green here. Cold weather is setting in today. Hopefully we can squeeze one more, possibly two cuts into the season. It was 70 yesterday, and this afternoon, it was a balmy 39..lol.
  2. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I skipped last week and I am making my final cuts this week.
  3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

After a good rain this morning it cleared up, and with the stiff breeze it dried up enough to attempt some clean ups this afternoon. I haven't been to this one property for about a week and a half, I was amazed at how much the lawn had grown. Not only did I get paid for a clean up, I also got to charge for another mowing. We haven't had much cold weather here in N.E. Ohio and only a couple of frosts, so the grass is still growing. It looks like it may be coming to an end with a forecast low in the 20's and high in the 30's
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Matt's still mowing here. Probably looking at the last round of cuts though, cold weather got here today.
  5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I was wondering about the 'Burgh, Jodi.Most of the lawns looked pretty green when we flew in last weekend from Florida. Looks like you guys got nailed with the rain today, like we did. It turned into freezing rain for about 5 minutes, then stopped. It was OK until around 2:30, then it seemed to drop about 30 degrees in minutes.
    How about that game Sunday night? Someone say PLAYOFFS...:D
  6. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

These dang leaf clean ups are slowing me way down. Usually I could get 12-15 cuts a day by myself. The last couple weeks it's been between 2 and 8 depending on the leaves. I'm trying to cut this week, but I don't even think I'll get through half of my cuts. I'm planning on cutting the ones I didn't get to this week next week, and maybe, maybe, maybe one more cut just to clean things up. Several of my cuts have dropped off for the season do to customer request and most could easily go bi-tri-weekly if it weren't for the leaves. Some I'm really testing my luck on. Hope I don't get any complaints about the lawns not needing it. They are still growing some though. Today It was snowing lightly while I was cutting. Snow, mow, trim and blow right? I swear though, there's not even going to be a break between summer cuts, fall clean ups and snow removal. I'm hoping to get a couple of weeks to get things set up for snow removal and relaxation. We'll see.
  7. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

You should say once every 2-3 weeks??? Right??? Your bi-tri-weekly would mean your cutting these properties 2-3 times each week.
  8. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

Dictionary.com defines bi-weekly as either "every two weeks", or "twice a week". So, bi weekly can mean either. I didn't bother to look up tri-weekly.
  9. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

same here bill.
    i shoot for a december 15th finish every year. i have some accounts that are wrapped up, mostly weed lawns with no trees (mow only houses). but i have alot that are still growing nice, and the leaves... yikes. i even have some, with bradford pear tress, where the leaves are still completely green. so i have atleast 2 weeks left.
    nice and cold today, 39 right now. i love working with a hooded sweatshirt:cool: and the water in the 5 gallon jug stays nice and crisp longer.

my biggest fear... my warm weathered amigos migrate too early:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: