who's the oldest?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Dec 10, 2003.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I see a couple a posts about the youngest people in here, and that's great what these kids are accomplishing. But I'm wondering who's the oldest that does this full time, to get an idea of an average career lenght that I can expect (Being that I stay Healthy). I'm 26 running my business for almost 6 years, was about 14-15 years old when I started working for my Brother in law(BTW, he's now cutting 370 accounts a week, damn!). I get tired sometimes in the middle of the summer, wonder how many years I can do this. i do love my job, working outdoors in ALL the elements, how do you hold up later in life in this field?

2. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Any one, Older than dirt, anyone. Just kidding

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Just like Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry said, "man's got to know his limitations."

I recently turned 49. As you get older, you have to know what you can and what you cannot do. And in the heat and humidity, you must learn to pace yourself. BTW, I have been doing this business commercially for 9 years full time.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok here's my story, and i'm stickin to it. your body, is your most important, most valuable piece of equipment. there are health problems that any of us may encounter reguardless of how well we take care of ourselves, but you can greatly diminish health risks by taking care of yourself. this is hard work. it's physical, and you are fighting the elements on top of it. extreme heat, sun exposure, cold, etc, all will be less stressful if u stay in peak physical form. u wouldn't run your machines without maintaining oil changes and grease jobs would you?well why then would you skip your situps, your vitamins, and forget to eat vegetables and drink enough water? people in good physical condition are more alert, more enthusiastic, and have more confidence. this all plays a major roll in the success and life of your business. remember, fresh fruits, vegetables, chicken, and fish. 8-12 glasses of water a day,abdominal and weight training, and 12-15 cans of coors light a day. i'm no doctor, i'm not recomending a diet or excersize plan, i'm just tellin ya what works for me.

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

by the way, i think rod is the oldest

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Only 12 - 15 bobby? You must be cutting back then...LOL. Nope, I'm not the oldest. Switchless and David Haggerty are older than me...haha

7. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobbygedds rite. You got to take care of yourself. Im 43 and been doing this for 10 yrs. Last summer I had 4 guys helping me. I just added a bit more equipment and next year I plan to get another mowing crew going. The more employees I hire, the less phisical work I need to do. Unfortunately headaches increase though.:dizzy:

8. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

So the 50's would be a reasonable goal, as far as field time goes. That sounds young, my dad is 63 and insists on working with me (on his days off) and at the end of the day asks wanna do a few more. The snow storm the other day, I had to keep telling him "let the machine do that...."

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

fga, my opinion, and my goals, are this: if one is in top shape, he can go well into his 60's in the field. but, at that point, i think i can make the company more money by not being in the field. with age comes wisdom(in most cases). just like your dad said, let the machine do that. "work smarter, not harder" is the teaching of the older generation. i'll never forget this one time, in my early years in the printing trade. there was this old beast of a machine, if u wanted to change a plate, u needed to remove the front form roller. a big, heavy, roller, about 60 inches long. the thing about it was, with the paper there, it was a struggle to lean over and grab both ends. i was 19 yrs old, my arms big and powerful. my superior, was 58 yrs old, small and puiny. my first two weeks, everytime i removed that roller i struggled, and was in pain. he would push me out of the way, and take the roller out with no difficulty at all.i thought the old man was strong as heck, and couldn't figure out why, he was about 5'5", and 150 lbs. one day i hurt my back pulling out that roller. the next day my back was so sore, i couldn't even get the roller out. the old man watched me struggle, and finally stopped me. "put the wrench down, come over here, i want to talk to you. every day, i watch you struggle with that roller, and you watch me remove it with no effort at all. i've come to a conclusion. you are nice as pie, strong as an ox, and dumb as a rock. i thought i'd give u a few weeks to catch on to what i've been doing, but i'm afraid you will end up in traction by the time you figure it out. instead of trying to grab that big heavy roller with one hand on each end, try putting one hand on one end, and the other in the middle. this will give u the leverage u need, and u wont need any muscle at all to lift it out." he was right. doing it the smart way, required almost no effort. it's the little things. like when i watch a guy weedwack, and he's holding the wacker up high, almost at his breast area. in two hrs(if that), his arms and shoulders are shot, and he's wiped out. when i do it, i let the wacker hang, the length of my arms, and pivot my body if needed, this removes all stress from the arms and shoulders. anyhow, now i'm rambling. you get the point. is it spring yet?

10. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

When I was 14 I worked for a guy who owned an LCO. He did it all his life, was 73 years old and he could WORK CIRCLES around us! It never ceased to amaze me how he could do it.