Who's Using Toro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MCJ1974, Mar 16, 2005.

1. MCJ1974

MCJ1974 LawnSite Member

Anybody Using Toro 400 Or 500 Series Mower? What Do You Think Of Deck Design And Adj Baffle System?

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

The 500 series and teh new Turbo Force Deck and baffle system is great! Plus that deck is solid 7ga not 10/7 like others.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'm pretty impressed with those spindles they're using these days...beefy to say the least.

4. MMLawn

Rod, you probably know this already but those bigger spindles also have a "piece" (forgot what it is called) that if teh spindle gets in a bind that would normally damage it this piece breaks instead and it is only like a $30 repair. Pretty sharp!

5. rodfather

Like a shear pin Mike?

6. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

You don't have a Toro, do you Rod? I agree, those spindles are the thickest I've ever seen. Amazingly, the sales guy at a show I was at in Cleveland last year, knew nothing about them. He just kept talking about the discharge shoot.

Brian

7. rodfather

Actually, I have 3 Toro 325D Groundsmasters...and luckily have never seen the spindles up close in a million pieces if ya know what I mean.

8. MMLawn

Yeah. that what it is. To my knowledge (and I'm probably wrong and a dumbazz) I don't think any of my other mowers have that feature. At least when I got the Toro's the dealer explained it to me as a big selling point (along with the bigger spindles) and no other dealer I have ever bought a mower from has mentioned it.

9. MCJ1974

MCJ1974 LawnSite Member

THEY HAVE A ALUMINUM SHEAR BLOCK UNDER THE SPINDLE PULLEY IF IT TAKES A HARD HIT IT WILL CRACK AND KEEP FROM BENDING THE SHAFT OR DAMAGING THE BEARINGS OR HOUSING. COST IS ABOUT 15.00 FOR THE PART AND TAKES LESS THAN 10MIN TO REPAIR IN THE FIELD. THE 9 1/4 CAST SPINDLE WILL ABSORB A VERY HARD IMPACT WITH OUT DAMAGE. THE BEARINGS ARE TAPERED ROLLER BEARINGS AND ARE GREASABLE.

10. MMLawn

Huh....isn't that what I just said....remember ALL CAPS IS YELLING.. :)

Also I just read in another thread where you said you are actually a Dealer, so since you are new to LS and may have missed it remember that unless you are a Paying Sponsor that you can't push your brands.

But yes the new Toro is as I said a very good mower.