Who's using V6's to pull there trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cpt87gn, Feb 16, 2010.

1. cpt87gn

cpt87gn LawnSite Member

Im in the market for a truck for this season. But im not sure which way im going. Im new so i dont have much work yet. Ill be pulling a 5x10 trailer with
    36''WB and a 21" push mower with the normal 2 trimmers 1 stick edgers blowers ect...
    The guys with the V6's. Hows that working out for you?
    My question is will a truck with a V6 be enought to pull it?
    Will i be able to see the differnce in the money im saving on gas vs the V8

2. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using a straight 6 to pull a 6.5' x 12' with two WBs, 3 21"s, blowers, trimmers etc for 2 years now. Straight Six has less power than a V6. No, it's not great, but we've had the truck forever and she keeps on running. I will be using my "new" truck more this year with the V8, it will pull a lot better.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I was going to explain it but then y'all ain't going to listen anyhow
    so just go ahead and hook it up to whatever POS you're thinking
    of pulling it with, all right?

Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  4. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

Have a 2000 S10 auto trans 4x4 with the Z package.

Pull a 10ft aluminum open.... a 16ft aluminum tandem open.... a 12ft iron open tilt...... and a 5x8 iron open tilt. The 16 ft I pull use it very rarely to transport a 5000# tractor, not the best comfort level, but OK to bring across town when needed.

Other trailers pull great with a ZTurn and some related equipment. There is no power to spare.... but it does the job great for me.

5. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

i also have an s10 with the 4.3 in it the motor has plenty of power its the suspension that sucks. i have a 5x10 with 2 foot mesh sides. the motor handles it with no issues. if you can afford the bigger motor go with it. i know im already looking to replace the s10 with another fullsize. my dodge with the cummins in it will pull an equipment trailer with a bobcat on it likes theres nothing behind you.

6. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a 2000 silverado with the 4.3 pulls fine pulled a car trailer with a 1996 extended cab s10 on it not to long ago youll have plenty of power to pull a mowing trailer and no the v6 will use more gas pulling the trailer

7. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

I used my 4 runner with a 3.4L V6 to pull my trailer around. Most I towed on a daily basis was a 32" WB, a 48" WB, 52" sufer, trimmer and blower and a 21" mower on a 6.5'x10' open trailer, I towed that load for most of a season, then I took my 48" WB off because I needed it else where, but for the better part of 3 years I towed the 32" and the 52". The V6 did just fine for city driving but driving on the highway was always a bear. The only problem I had was with the bearings in my rear axle, the tongue weight was not to friendly on them. To date no problems with the engine or trans. With a half ton you should easily be able to pull a couple of full size mowers, but you have to watch you braking distances and realize a V6 may not get you there as quick as a V8.

8. cpt87gn

cpt87gn LawnSite Member

topsites go ahead and explain it .

9. BTM Lawn Maintenance L.L.C

BTM Lawn Maintenance L.L.C LawnSite Senior Member

The topic has been beat to death already..do a search.....:hammerhead:

10. lawnguy224

lawnguy224 LawnSite Member

It's like anything else you want to invest your money and get the best bang for your buck. I have a F150 with a 4.6 V8 and a Tundra with a 5.7 V8 the Tundra is by far better on fuel than the Ford. The Ford is always working to get the load moving and keep it going where the tundra just plops along with LOTS of power to spare. jut my 2 cents