who's watching their profits go out the tailpipe

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Jun 22, 2008.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I didnt think this year would be too bad as far as fuel prices and everything that goes along with that. My mowing route is really tight, even the new customers we picked up are within just a few minutes from each other but it seems we are at the damn pumps every few days vs. maybe once a week last year, what the hell!! I can easily say we are spending twice as much in fuel than last year, Last thursday I put in 50.00 (which didnt get me much) by sunday (today) I was on frikin' "E" again. I put 100 bucks in today and it didnt even fill me up! I know I'm not the only one but its my turn to *****! Prices are going up next week and as far as plowing....going up at least 30%.

2. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

I was at the gas station today (third time this week!) and I called my wife and said enough is enough, prices are going up or I'm adding a fuel surcharge! There is just no way around it, hell it's sad when the cheapest I could find gas was $4.26... and I drove with the damn gas light on to find it, cause it's $.20 higher the next town over. I get p!ssed cause the pumps keep shutting off at $75! I'm spending a mortgage payment on gas every month! I don't even want to think about the plowing season, I'll sub it to the ones doin it for $10-$15 a drive and my truck won't move.

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

You guys didn't raise prices at the beginning of the season or are you raising them again? Not knocking you in anyway, just curious. I feel your pain.

4. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not near as worried about how the gas itself affects my pocketbook; I'm much more worried about how it will affect the pocketbooks of my current and prospective clients. I mean put it in perspective: What's worse, paying $50 extra per week at the gas pump or losing 10 or 20 (or more) customers a week because they no longer can afford to pay the yard guy? I'd be real careful about jacking up peoples' prices too much.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah but nickel and diming the problem doesn't help me any, and I don't care what the reason if a pump cuts me off below $100 I'll go elsewhere... Now I don't like it anymore than the next guy but when I pull up it's usually because something is near empty and with the trailer in tow I usually hog up two pumps so one nozzle can flow into the truck while I do the mowers because I need to fill up and I mean I need FUEL!

Now it's about high time, I hope I can gain some customers off these dang price raises but I got news for them, too: Don't be calling me this time of the year expecting a great deal and acting like they'd be doing me a favor with the temps hovering up in the 90's and 100's lol... Meaning I gladly give out the usual price, but start talking about "with all the guys before you they would include the leaf cleanup, so leaves are included in that, right?" and I'm good as gone.

If it ain't one thing it's another, lol

6. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

When I started in this business (30 years ago), most of our residential customers were "rich" ( Dr.'s, lawyers, CEO's etc.) Now everybody that makes more than $10 an hour, uses a lawn service. Kind of like Walmart made more goods accessible to more financially challenged people.

I think we're in for a market adjustment. It probably won't be a bad thing for the survivors. And not necessarily bad for those with a career change.

7. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

Last May' fuel bill was $1516.35. This May's fuel bill was $3861.22

8. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

yes, this makes sense, gas was averaging $2.00/gallon last year.
    $4.00 this year. ;)

9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We were paying, in June last year, $2.79 ish. This year its been at $3.99 for weeks now. My point was we're at the pumps twice as much and it seems the fuel isnt going as far as it was last year.

10. nicoronel

nicoronel LawnSite Member

Here the situation is almost the same: here we pay each ltr. about U$S 0.89, like $ 2,50 (pesos argentinos).
    I can´t believe I´m paying cheaper than in your country. But there´s another problem: there´s no enough fuel for everybody. I´ve done long tails in service stations. All these situations are affecting our job, but also our customers.
    Only solution i´m thinking, is to store some fuel on my backyard...and not to increase prices.