whos - who?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Andrew Kovacs, Mar 19, 2008.

1. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

2. Elden

Elden LawnSite Member

treegal, That's a nice lookin kit. I've been looking at some and haven't decided on buying one or just using the UF lab in Gainsville. No one in my neck of the wood does testing that I know of. Does your company test for CEC? Are there any kits that test for Ca & Mn?
  3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I'll hop in on this one.

CEC can be approximated using field tests, however if you need an accurate value you need to send a sample to the lab.

The turf lab does not include a Mn test, however there are field test kits that do, and they are anything but cheap.
  4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

How close to correct is this ratio?

...Exchangeable calcium may be 55-1400 times more elevated on ADE than on Ferralsols, while magnesium shows increases in ADE of 8-130 times (Lima, et al., 2002)...
  5. Tom Jaszewski

Tom Jaszewski LawnSite Member

I'd like to read those comments in context. Can you provide more information on the actual citation. Am am NOT a soil scientist and Lima and others has no reference for me.

That being said, I don't think it's reasonable to look at conventional standards for nutritional requirements when we're working in a biological system. Compost tea changes the rules.....
  6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

The ADE = Amazonian Dark Earth.

treegal posted a link to an article on it. This is where that quote came from.

7. Tom Jaszewski

Tom Jaszewski LawnSite Member

I just couldn't help that....:)
  8. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

You don't have Amazonian Dark Earth up there in the North?

What are you trying to say? come on we can take it and actually would like to hear your opinion. you know what they about opinions, everyone has one
  9. treegal1

there are similar soils to ADE in the northern expanses of Russia, the ref. was to better under stand a healthy carbon negative and sustainable soil and to help others under stand why we use tons of charcoal and bio char. even in a sandy and not clay like soil. some things just don't change even over 1000 years. good soil management is just that "GOOD"
  10. treegal1

smallaxe, we shoot for a 1:5 ratio mg to ca,if all the balances are low only raise the total amounts don't change the ratio. tea helps balance and the ratio is hard to move in an organic way so don't go test crazy trying to adjust the values

CEC hardly ever changes, at least in our sand, we have tested several times(cost $35)
    and the values never change from one site to the next.until we change them?