whos your boss?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by youngbuck, Oct 21, 2005.

1. youngbuck

youngbuck LawnSite Member

i gave an old man a estimate on the phone and after i cut his grass he said did your boss tell you how much i owe, i replied i am the boss he looked stunned. i love when i get this i was wondering if it happends to any other young lco's. i also have a business debit card and a cashier at a gas station try to tell me that it wasent my card because it said buckey turf that it was someones business card i just smirked and said that it was my business
  2. LorentzLawnSnow

LorentzLawnSnow LawnSite Member

my favorite was in my last business, i had a partner that was about 5 years older than me. at this one really large account we had everyone would always tell him to tell things to his boss (me). he had a big ego problem and it always bugged the heck out of him ;)
  3. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Always a pleasure to see a young person with the ambition to go it on his/her own and rid themselves of the boss. It's neat too when someone under estimates you and you get to subtly set them straight.:)

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Ahh. The power of 3rd party. Try to hide the fact that you are the owner as now they can deal with YOU and will.
    "yes sir, My boss said that you owe $35.00---Oh OK young man and here is a tip."

" Sir I am the boss, and you owe me $35.00- Well I think you could have done a little better job in the back so I believe that it is only worth $30."
    " Is it possibly to remove this tree real quick---AHH, Well --ok , but-but, (boy how do I get out of this) "
    " I am sorry sir but the boss will not let me do that, I would but I can get into trouble"

It is always better to hide the fact that you have decision making power.

Oh and about who is my boss-- Well she tells me to make more money- charge more- be home earlier, take out the garage, take those dirty clothes off before you come in this house.
    Oh to be 18 again--:drinkup:
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I remember a few years back, someone posted about an angry customer or neighbor, or something like that. The person threatened to call the company and complain about the guy. The guy just said. "Go ahead!"
    Well, imagine the look of frustration when the person stood there and called, and his phone rang....he just walked over by his truck and said. "May I help you?"