Who's your favorite entrepreneur?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Team Gopher, Sep 3, 2003.

1. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Ronald McDonald... God I love those BIG Red shoes! :D

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

You'll change your mind about them as soon as you need service. I did.

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

John Allin comes to mind, I admire his story and what he has created with the Allin Companies/SMG. He seems like a nice, regular person, who has struggled like the rest of us to achieve his goals. It's just that he has achieved his goals on a very large scale.
    I never set out to be the biggest landscaper out there, I'm a very hands on business owner, I just wanted a comfortable life for my wife and me, and someday a family. I also am inspired by people I know personally, from all different types of businesses, who have created a great business.
    As far as favorite books, I enjoyed Michael Gerber "The E-Myth" this past winter.

4. glenjr10

glenjr10 LawnSite Member

Warren Buffet!!

5. dave80

dave80 LawnSite Member

His name was Fred Smith. I know a guy that used to have a shipping business in Baltimore and from what he was telling me Fred Smith got mad when he was in college when one of his professors gave him a bad grade on a paper/project (or something).

Here is an excerpt from an article that I just found:

When FedEx originated the industry in 1973 -- based on a hub-and-spoke concept that FedEx founder and CEO Fred Smith had earlier outlined in a Harvard MBA paper (which got low marks) -- it was the lone player in it.

Link if you are interested:

http://www.cdf.org/cdf/atissue/vol1_1/fedex/fedex.html

Guess it just goes to show you that you never really know what you can accomplish until you try it.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

it reminds of Bill Gates and how he screwed over apple and Steve Jobs

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

nothing against Bill Gates here, I think that his success story is something else

8. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

You can't imagine how flattering (and humbling) it is to have someone think of me in this vein.... thank you....

I thought of Bill Gates.....

However, all successful people have those who don't think quite as highly of them as others might. While I have not ever intentionally screwed anyone, I'm fairly certain that there are those that would argue differently....

9. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

I had a problem w/ my Dell. They sent me a new one and a lexmark 3 in one for my trouble. I was pleased to say the least.

10. GLAN

GLAN Banned

You want to know who I admire as entrepreneurs

The little guys

The ones that keep their noses clean, do all the right things, ask the right questions. Work smart and understand that what ever it is they are doing it is about making people happy.

This can be the local paper boy, the youngster with a tractor pulling a wagon with his equipment. The kids shoveling snow, The teen girl babysitting, and so on.

Those are the ones I admire.............:)