Whose Bagging??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by afftandem, Mar 2, 2005.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

Reading up on this Metro 26".. had a few posts saying that it was more for bagging rather than mulch (even though it advertises mulching).. and I guess honda has a commercial version of their double bladed mulching mower coming out this year (which should have a great mulch to it, but only 21")..

Would love to buy the metro 26, but need it to mulch well (for $1350, better than well!!)... Has anyone seen this in action when it comes to mulching ?????!!!!!!!

Reason Im worried is that when i started just for some chump change during the summer while goin to college, I used a 21" craftsman which had an excellent mulch (1st class) then bought a toro recycler 22" which didnt mulch worth a damn, and the toro is suppose to be a superior machine.

I know these were residential mowers, but still in the same size as the commercial 21's and metro 26...

Question is: WHO BAGS? if you live in rural kentucky then its okay, you can dump it in the field in your backyard at the end of the day... but for the majority of us.. theres no way to dispose of the clippings.
    COMMERCIAL MOWERS SHOULD BE MORE RIGGED TO MULCH RATHER THAN BAG, yet they push these bags on these 21" commercials. (not to mention the time involved with bagging) we are supposed to be efficient... and bagging is not.. as far as mulching goes, the craftsman would mulch down some high grass..might be a residential piece of crap, but a great mulch.

Would hate to spend over a gran on a commercial mower and find out it had a lousy mulch. especially the 26" metro at nearly $1500 after taxes.

2. afftandem

for those of you who say its more professional to bag, then youve never seen the mulch of the craftsman (high wheel, 7hp briggs) .. not a trace of grass clippings... yeah, the motor didnt last long, but when buying a $1000++ commercial 21, 26" mower, we should except nothing less.. Mulching over bagging.

3. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 22" 6.75HP Craftsman that I started with last year and I would have to agree with you. It sure can mulch some grass. It's still going like a champ. I definitly put that thing through its paces many times. It has paid for itself many time over. Used it today just for the hell of it.

4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

the only time we bag is when we've gotten off schedule and multiple passes cant leave the property looking good. WE decide when to bag, not the customer. I will never have any desire to load, haul, and unload, wet, stinky, nitrogen laden grass clipplings. no thanks....

5. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

We bag everything because we have little choice. I am hoping to switch to mulching on the properties that I do the fertilizer on.

6. afftandem

what are u doin with the clippings, turf?

7. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I dump them in a pasture about a mile from town, Except for when the lawns have been sprayed then I have to haul them to the transfer station!

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I'll be dam* and Turf Dancer is in OR, so us dumb old hicks in the South aren't the only ones with some open fields as you said there newbie, that was a pretty rude and "stereotypical" comment to blurt out. Open mouth insert foot.:dizzy:

9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Afftandem, so you are telling me,(us) that in the growing season when the grass is growing rapidly and when you return the next week only to find the grass 3-4" tall (because you should only be taking off 1/3 of the top of grass blades) that the craftsman mower you have does'nt leave any clippings? Or do you have to go over it again with your 21"er. I just find it hard to belive that it would walk through tall grass and mulch it up enough that you don't have to go over it again.

J and B Lawncare
    1994 F150 heavy 1/2 ton Meyers plow w/wings Meyers salt spreader
    2005 Exmark 52" Truf Tracer w/pro slide
    48" Exmark Viking w/velke
    21 Husquvarna
    Little Wonder HPV
    and a whole bunch of other crap

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup exactly.