Why a stander?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mo Green, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard alot of guys talking about running standers. Why use one instead of a ZTR? I've never used a stander and wanted to know what their advantages are over ZTRs.
  2. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Visibility, easier on lower back,more compact & manueverible,safer on hills.
  3. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Good answer. Thanks.
  4. FosterLawnscaping

FosterLawnscaping LawnSite Member

My 52 inch super surfer takes up less room on the trailer than my 48 inch walk behind or a ztr. But like he said, great on hills and great visibility. Plus you develop good sea-legs.
  5. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

easy to bail out if you get in a situation.
  6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

very true, try bailing out of a zrt, tough!
  7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

A must have for "unfriendly" landscaping layouts..areas where Z's can't get to, a Stander can get in and out much faster and with higher productivity than a walk behind. I take mine everywhere I took the WB's and then some. I can fit 2 48" Standers on my 10' Hydroseeding trailer w/ breathing room, and will have 3 of them on a 14' trailer come spring.If you have a Wright dealer or JD dealer, try a demo and see for yourself. I love my Standers..
  8. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You said it, I have a Stander and I love it, I had to bail once, thank god it was a Stander. :)
  9. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

Why did you choose to go with 48" over 54'? Will 48" squeeeeeeeze through 48" gates that a 54" could never do or is there some other reason?

I like the wider tires and trim side on a 54" but not if a 48" will actually go through most 4ft gates.

10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We actually had two clients with gates that were too small to get the new mowers through, so I offered to split the cost of a new gate with them 50 / 50..only one took me up on it, the other didn't mind paying the whole bill. I got a really great deal on my Standers this June, and 48 was the choice based on that..I plan on buying a new 23 / 52" in March or April , and both gates are now double 4 ft opposed gates that swing out to 8', so we are limitless to equipment back there now. And no, it won't fit thru a single 4 ft gate...we tried before while demoing..I had trouble getting my 48" Snapper WB thru 4' gates.