why a walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dougmartin2003, Aug 3, 2003.

1. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

i have a question, why do so many of you guys use a walk behind mower instead of a z rider. i have never used one before but are there any pros and con of a wb mower

2. In many cases a ZTR is more productive than a WB.

Why stand when you can sit?

Pros n cons; you got a lot of reading to do.

3. dougmartin2003

thats what i thought a rider would be better

4. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

Well HEY LGF...how bout a link or two, I love and hate the search...thanks

5. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

ZTR mowers Pros more productive and ease on worker. Cons wont go on some hills and thru some gates Walk Behine Pros go on most steep hills and thru most gates Cons see ZTR pros

6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

That pretty much sums it up.

7. dougmartin2003

thanks guys aroumd here there are hardly any gates to have to worry about and living in missouri there is no hills

8. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) I always have a 52" walkbehind on my trailor, alot of my highend jobs are on the overlook right at the Ohio River, Which is way to hilly for my ZTR rider, also use a walkbehind on some of the smallar accounts, but im rideing about 60% of the week. I just can't pass on lawns that pay the big dollars which have to be cut with a walkbehind............Marks Mowing Service

9. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Depending where you are and whether or not you do residential, a 32" wb may be the only one you can guarantee will get through a gate!

I'd love to have a rider, but I wouldn't be able to get into about 2/3 (or more) of my back yards!

:rolleyes: Someday I'll get a big ol' 52" ZT! :rolleyes: