Why a Walker?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shane7258, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

You know I've bought a brand new snapper pro Ztr 48 inch deck works good I guess... tears up grass with the tires a lot... Hard to change the blades... good on oil maint good on gas great seat awesome blower system.... but I still long for a 42" walker never owned one never drove one don't know anyone that does but I want a walker I had a chance to buy the smaller one but with a 13HP 6 bushel bagger compartment when I saw how small the gas tank was I was like give me the snapper but It is hard here in AL to get on most yard without tearing them up so here it is I still want a Walker! Thanks for listening

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

With the turf tearing...it's not the machine...it's the operator. Any machine will tear if you aren't proficient enough. Get some seat-time on your Snapper and you will learn how to operate it better.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

If you are looking at walker, also check out eXmark Navigator, never used one or anything but after reading up on both i would go with the Navigator. My 2 cents

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Shallow rooted wet turf and aggressive tires will tear regardless of the operator. Maybe some different tires are in order.

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

The majority of damage is operator error or inexperience. Try going just a little slower at the end of a run.

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I can get turf tearing with 3/4 bald tires even while making a large sweeping turn while watching the inside tire to make sure it dosn't go too slow or stop turning and drag. It's NOT ALWAYS the operator! Fescue growing in wet soil or in the shade can tear out with your shoe sometimes.

Why a Walker? well I don't know... I bought a 48" 20 hp 2 years ago because I had some dillusion that it was going to magically make me more money and do a much better job. Did it do either? NO. Too hard to dump, Too hard to manuver, couldn't jump curbs, too slow, couldn't mow wet, seat was BLACK VINAL (oh so fun on 95 degree days). Need I go on? sure... wouldn't hold a hill, unless you wanted to become a backwards mower and back up everywhere you go.

Now a 42" is small enough to sneak into a lot of back yards and smaller lawns. Not large enough to be efficient at all, but if you already have a larger Z then the 2 would make a great combo.

7. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Shane, like Jason Rose says, the black seat is a real pain in the butt :) but I solved that by recovering mine in white. First thing anyone should do, and why they make them black is beyond me.
    I have a 42" with the 16 hp kohler, the 13 hp is the homeowner version I believe as opposed to the 16 hp "commercial". I'm having a new motor put in right now after 3200+ hrs on it with no other major repairs. Quite a solid machine in my opinion. I've been without mine now for just under a week now and can't wait to get it back this Tuesday.
    Jason does bring up some valid points though, and if you do a search on here you will find lots of comments, pro and con. But they are SO great at what they do best. Flat well manicured lawns. They were never intended for high production. But I use mine on all my high visibility commercial accounts even though it takes me a few extra min. more then some of my other machines. You know, quality not quantity.
    There is a learning curve to them as with any machine and you make some marks on the turf until you figure them out but with some time on them you figure it all out.
    So Jason, how do you find them hard to maneuver? That I just don't understand. It's like a joystick in your left hand. Opps, maybe your left-handed? That could be a problem and hard to overcome I think. But your right though, They sure won't jump curbs :).
    Anyway I'll sum it up like this, "Walker, there is no substitute". Gee, I think they owe me something for this :) ....Oly

8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

what's a walker mower???

i like the 18 with 48" deck. real fast and good on hills. the 13 is mainly used as a small gate back yard. also the 13 is the best hill mower walker or any others ive tried have. i can mow hills previously done with push mowers or trimmers by other lcos. slow as s***, though.

9. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

If you want a lean, mean, money makin' machine you need a Walker! They don't tear grass, they are great on hills, they get the job done quicker than a Dixie Chopper!

10. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

lol cant jump curbs or maneuver a walker, cant hold a hill oh man thats lame. next your gonna say you cant catch grass with it. If you only saw the hills we can cut on that our old ztr couldn't touch, its harder to get my walkbehind to jump curbs than it is to get the walker over them. haven't met a curb i couldn't hop yet and i weight 225. if you cant maneuver a walker after the first 2 days of owning one you should probably walk behind a mower. we own 2 and are picking up #3 next week. the walker has actually sped up our operation because it is more maneuverable and doesn't spew grass in clumps all in the beds and on the lawn. buy a speed up kit first thing well worth it. oh yeah and suck it up the seat only burns for a few seconds. :drinkup: