Why am I leaving windrows?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lonnie, Jul 27, 2007.

1. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys I need a little help here. I have a Gravely 34z and I mulch exclusively and have never had a problem with leaving windrows untill this year. I was wondering if it could be the tension idler springs or the deck belt getting loose. Should I just replace them both. I forgot about this problem also. I have commercial 21 toro and I cannot get the crank sleeve off to save my life. Any suggestions.

2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm 140 miles east of you and I can guess why you may be leaving a lot of wind rows. Over here because of all the rain we had the grass growing like gangbusters the last couple weeks.

I had piles of it thrown out myself -- 54" Tank. Everywhere in town wind rows -- everywhere I looked. It's getting better now but the grass is browning in the higher spots.

Nosmo

3. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Gravely 2348XLP, which has a different deck than your mower, and I am having the same problem. I was getting ready to get with the dealer and see if he could give any suggestions, although it would probably just be to buy new blades. I always clean my deck and sharpen my own blades, and this problem has just shown up recently. I also believe the rain may have something to do with it, as it may have pulled a certain kind of grass out of dormancy, and the grass doesn't cut that well, although the centipede or bermuda cuts okay.

4. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I'd change the belts. Make sure you lube all spindles if they are not sealed.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

lonnie, ... more information would help. Where are the windrows? Are they being left behind the deck, at the line of the discharge chute, 1 foot away from the end of the chute, 5 feet away, ...? Are the windrows even, or do clumps make up the windrow? Any pics, with explanation?

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

windrows easy question..... pick one

1) mowing to fast
    2) packed deck
    3) wrong blades
    4) slipping clutch
    5) rpm off spec.
    6) stiff spindels but I doubt it....

use heat on the sleeve, while hot slap it sharply with a hammer.

7. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Try the meg mo blades. We will reduce that by 90%. OEM blades throw the grass where the meg mo blades blow the grass out and cut up 4 or 5 times more. One thing the meg mo will blow the grass out about 3 to4 length of the deck where most blades will only throw the grass out about 2 length of the deck.

8. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

On some mowers the tension idler needs to be greased, and if it isn't, it hangs up and doesn't apply proper tension even with the spring. It's a commonly overlooked maintenance item, and cheap to fix, so check that.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I guess mulching up north is different from down south but why not try putting the mulch plate on the outlet...we do that year round and have cut some pretty high wet grass the last couple months and have little problems.