1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why are Blades like this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TierOneLawnCare, Aug 31, 2006.

1. TierOneLawnCare

TierOneLawnCare LawnSite Member

Why are mower blades only sharp a portion of the entire blade? Wouldnt you think it wouldnt you think it would cut better with the blades sharp the entire length of the blade.....Ill demonstrate X=sharp Part Z=dull part
    here are current blades XXXZZZZOZZZZXXX Here is my proposal
    XXXXXXZOZXXXXXX by the way O= Center of the Blade........Maybe someone Could explain this better to me
  2. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

The only reason I could think of it that the blade edge is spining is slower toward the center. Thats why the outermost tips always dull the fastest. the inside would be spining to slow to actually cut anything. Exmark used to advertise ''excalibur'' blades that were sharpened farther in like your talking about. Hope I could help.
  3. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you could explain your thread to us. Holy cow I thought it was me for a minute there.
  4. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

As you travel while mowing, you are actually only mowing with about the first 2 inches of the blade... ever notice how the sharp part of the blade closer to the center isn't as dull.

It might help with mulching, but not much.
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

There are many types of blades out there that have an edge to just about center of the blade, apparently you just haven't come across them yet.
  6. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

I always thought this was true! ^^^
  7. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Humm... My blades ARE sharpend full length.
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of blades these days ARE sharpened full length.

I feel it DOES help. Especially at faster cut speeds.

The reason the inner edge doesn't dull as bad as the tip is because it isn't spinning as fast. It also isn't usually hitting any obstructions (rocks, sticks, etc).

Prior to full length being available for my Lazer, I would make them myself.
  9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Todays tip speed on mowers you only use less than 1" of the blade to cut the grass. With the normal 5" sharpen is plenty.
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

While it's action of actually CUTTING grass under debate, A full length sharp edge also chops up your clippings further.