1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why are most LCOs in east coast jerks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Really, are you one of them? Think about it on a scale of 1-10, 10 being a major $%^#$^%#$ #^$$^#$^.

I would say im a 5 or 6. Im a little stubborn but respect to some extent all other LCOs locally even if i dont like them for small reasons.

Ive never blown grass onto another LCOs cut account, blown grass onto someone elses mulch beds that were close, purposely tried to agitate another LCO operator while i was doing my own job etc...

I even will let them have the right of way when on the roadways just because they're in the same field... Yet today, im driving 65~mph down a 2 lane highway coming up to a new "T" style intersection, just an adjoining roadway with a light... Light is red for the other road, and a Robbinsville, NJ LCO turns out with their 04+ XL f150 and open trailer with a bunch of junk on it right in front of me in the truck. I was going to pickup a pallet of stone so wasn't pulling anything. I zoomed into the left most lane and laid on the horn.. He obviously cut me and the guy behind me off. I stay in left lane, and 1/2 mile up the road, stop to make a left turn at a light. Guy pulls just past me in the right most lane and then while im turning hes blowing the horn while taking off again. What a jerk. I actually have seen this LCO in his own area before while passing out fliers.. He may have realized who my company was and didnt like that i beeped at him to begin with. Either way, wasnt anything i did wrong..

So how a$$ are you to other LCOs even if they've done nothing demeaning towards you, your employees or your company in general?

A few months ago i was doing a $800 mulch/edge job at a customers house that also requested a lawn quote, mine of $80 per weekly cut for 2.2 acres and the current company of $50 per.... well the company came in the same day, blew a whole row of grass with their big dix choppers and when i went to talk to the guy afterwards, he speaka no english.. whole crew of this big LCO was like this..:hammerhead: :angry: All i was going to do is tell him he blew some grass over there and if he could be more careful at least while were working at the job site.. Thats why they are $50 per cut:dizzy:
  2. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

everyone around here is pretty cool somerset/hunterdon county. you get the occasional jerk, but you just laugh at the job they do for 5 dollars.
  3. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

we have the type around here that wont even wave. Which is funny, they end up on my list of people not to send work to.

I have a list of cool solo LCOs in the area, that when I get a call for someone wanting maintenance, I give them someones name. The next call gets the next name on the list.

Around october when I start getting slow in the bush hogging end of things, I add accounts and service them all the way until I cant handle them anymore. Then I pass on somewhere around 20 to 30 accounts to people on my list.

I have probably given away around 60 accounts in the past couple of years, and have referred close to 200 phone calls to others.

I have no desire to grow larger than being solo.
  4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

your a nice guy kto :p, too bad your not around my area. My overall goal is to become much larger, but not large where i have 6 crews, dont know their names and the work suffers you know. I see tons of this with big companies locally, mostly people who dont speak english and they loose customers because of this. I wish i had some descent people to refer any clients to, i have one in an area i dont service but only have gotten 2 calls to give him all year. Most of my business is word of mouth and advertisements, WOM is the best though, because they come to you for good work not cheap work.
  5. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Im on the east coast and some of us get along pretty good, even had a little BBQ a few weeks back to throw some back:drinkup: and talk bizz, but a lot that I dont know I always and I mean always wave at them when I drive ny or even on the same street mowing grass, but they dont even wave, come on we are all in the same type of bizz. We all need to get along so we can have more BBQ's together and more :drinkup:
  6. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I have contemplated finding a helper. The problem here is that there is absolutely no good help. I would rather do only what I can do solo, and not disappoint customers, than try to make more, break promises and do shoddy work because I rushing through jobs because ol Stew called in with a hangover.

BTW never once have I sold an account. Always given away. I got my start from someone that was solo and getting out due to health problems and was given around 30 accounts for free.
  7. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

It's all that salt air that effects you Downstate and Jerzy guys!
  8. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

I've noticed it also, some of the guys are real *******. Had a guy who mowed next door to one of my clients on the same day, he cut the grass every 2 weeks and blows everything on my clients sidewalk and driveway. The first time I came I was like what the ****, I later found out he cut the property before but they got feed up with his job and got me. I could careless I blow everything right back. Most of the guys are nice and always say hi and will even help you out if you have a problem, but some guys are complete *******.
  9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I try to be nice and strike up a conversation with all the LCOs I meet. Quite often, we end up learning things from one another. Just like lawnsite.:)
  10. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Sometimes you have to wonder if these people enjoy what they do at all. I find that the ones who won't wave or sneer at you, usually have a chip on their shoulder or have a pride problem. The ones who blow grass onto your client's lawn generally want it to look like you did a bad job so they can pick them up for themselves(trust me on this). The ones who cut you off while driving are thinking,"Get out of my way junior. The REAL lawn crew has arrived. America doesn't have time for rookies like you." You have probably noticed it is the higher-volume companies that cut you off while driving. The answer: don't let it get to you. If you do, you have given them the power to control your actions. Don't you think they want to piss you off? If they succeed in getting you P.Oed, they know that you will now be concentrating on their rude action and not on your work. This in turn leads to your demise, not theirs--exactly what they want. They have purposed to put you out of business. What will you do about it? Re-act or act?