Why are most operators carrying belt drive WBs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Jun 24, 2008.

1. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I seldom see Hydros. Mostly see belt drive Exmark Metros. Was wondering why?

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

belt drives are much cheaper
  3. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

easy to come by. Less expensive. BUt once you go hydro it's hard to use a belt.

Especially on hills:weightlifter:
  4. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

They are cheaper, but i have no idea why a solo guy would want to run one. I did for a few years when I first got started, but bought a hydro Toro 44" last year, and can't believe I waited so long. Much more efficient, easier to run, my list goes on and on.
  5. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto you are not lying about that one. If you are solo, go hydro
  6. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

Me being new to the trade, I have a hydro and have never experienced a belt...what is the biggest difference with the belt drives?
  7. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

Whys that? I'm not questioning weather thats wrong or right, but simply wondering the reason. I can imagine they're nice to have. I have a belt drive metro, but I don't usually even operate it. I have a 2 person crew that does the route. I was looking at the price difference, and just couldn't justify the $ difference since employees are not exactly the easiest on equipment. But then again, I've never used or owned one..
  8. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

our wb gets used about 30 min a week at most!! its about a 15 year old scag and i always think of updating it but its just not worth it for us.. it has a sulky on it and pulls real good and never had a problem with the belts slipping..
  9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Price difference.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I have a belt drive 32 and the reason I didnt go hydro is because Im not the one using it so I am not going to pay twice as much for the same productivity. If you get a guy used to running a belt he is just as productive.