1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why are new blades dull?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigbone, Jun 6, 2007.

1. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

I was just wondering why new blades are dull. At least I think they are dull.
  2. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

you mean band new out of the box blades right.

if you reach in to the box and grab blade you cut your hand
  3. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

because they make these things all day long and dont want to spend extra time to make them "sharp" Loose money that way.
  4. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

do you mean dull because of the flat black paint?

you can always use glossy paint to tough em up
  5. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

They're not dull, that's what sharp blades look like.

If your blades are razor sharp.. then they're too sharp. A razor sharp edge will round off really fast.

Ever notice how a set of brand new blades cut better than the blades you sharpen?
  6. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I guess I'm confused. I just started to sharpen my own for the first time. And it seems that the sharper I make them, the quicker they go dull. What is the proper procedure?
  7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

The proper way is to square the edge and then sharpen as you would an ax. If you were to sharpen an ax down to a razor sharp/thin edge, it would splinter the first time you swing it into wood.
  8. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I sharpen mine on a bench grinder but the wheel rotates into my blades. I wish it would rotate away.

One thing I noticed was that my angle of the blade was much steeper then some of the new blades I bought. I think I might try the angle grinder way again but I don't have a vice, just a clamp. THat's why I gave on on that last time.
  9. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

I see what you mean about getting them razor sharp because that is what I was doing. My next question then would be what does a dull blade feel like? Would it be when the edge is completely rounded off?
  10. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

The best way to learn how to sharpen blades is to start with a new set.

New blades are plenty sharp, they do not need to be any shaper.

I would grind down a very thing layer.. maybe just the paint off the cutting edge. Don't put too much pressure on the very edge because you'll just make it razor sharp. I dunno.. I guess it's just an aquired task.