Why are new LCO's using tailgate ramps & no trailers??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by casey, Aug 14, 2001.

1. casey

casey Guest

I've seen 4 new LCO's in my area this year with new full size Chevy's or Fords with tailgate ramps & no trailers. They all carry a WB & 1 or 2 21"s in the truck bed. If they can afford a shiny new truck & a WB why arn't they pulling a trailer??? Anyone have a clue? I'm baffled.

2. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

there is couple of new ramp systems that are fairly inexpensive.Poss they cant afford a trailer after making there 400-500 month payment.i dont know, i currently have a tilt trailer and some days i want just throw the mower in the back of the truck(somedays).Or maybe they are driving 40 miles to cut a yard for 20.00 bucks??????:rolleyes:

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

trailers are a dime a dozen too. you can pick up a new 7 by 14 trailer here for like 1,200. if i spent the money on a new truck, i wouldnt want to ding it all up. id spend a little more for a trailer. if its an older truck, thats a different story.

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I know I have turned down quite a few new accounts this year do to the fact that there is no room to park my truck and 16ft trailer! There is nothing wrong with using the back of your truck if you can fit all the equipment you need in there! It sure is nice and maneverable! When i started out I used to put my 36inch gravely walkbehind in the back of my then f-150..... I only did very small residentials at that time.... I didnt have or need a ztr and several walk behinds like now so i had no reason to have a trailer.

5. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

i use ramps. run a 2000 chev, i could be one youve seen. just tryin to save money, but every day find i want more room. often leave things like grass catcher behind for lack of space.

have already picked and priced out a trailer. will probably get it in the spring.

basically, always tryin to cut expenses. sometimes make the right choice, sometimes not so much.

6. SLC1

SLC1 Guest

It reminds me of a story back quite a few years ago, me and my crew were haveing breakfast at a local diner when we saw a small beat up old isuzu pickup drive by with a beat up walk behind in the back , me and the crew all laughed about how scrub looking that his set up looked like because we never saw him before, there were signs on the side of the truck and we knew that he was from out of town, well about 10 minutes later about six of his trucks drove by all nice trucks, huge trailers, big international with a 40hp leaf vac trailer, this guy was huge and he was set up right, he is no longer in business but he was around for a long time and it just goes to show you that looks arent everything, MDB you might now who I am talking about he was not far from where you are

7. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

2 things, first if you have very small account you might not need much equipment, second they might not have enough money for a trailer. I do have some account where I wish I could just bring the truck, hard to park and busy street. So these guys may be getting into the niche of hard to access area's or very small accounts. I still think if your a true LCO you have to have a trailer, no other way around it. Could be they are just starting out and testing the water's too, who know's.

8. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

I've seen plenty of brand new trucks and trailers with Craftsmen or some other piece of crap mowers on them, It's called putting the cart before the horse, it makes you wonder.

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i have done that in the past . 999 times you alright but sooner or later that lawnmower going to end up on top of you .
    a walk behind might not be so bad ,a z would be a different story. afraid theyed be singing for you that night.:) later TM

10. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

How about a Walker on a about 6ft long trailer being bulled by a Caddy? Or a Turf Tiger pulled by a Jimmy. Or 2 pushmowers pulled by an older Tracker. How about a Crapsman pulled by a Firebird. I even saw a 21 puch, edger, blower and trimmer haning out the trunk of a BMW. Sad sights this season.