Why are people buying "stand on" units?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CHRIS MELROSE, Nov 6, 2007.

CHRIS MELROSE LawnSite Member
    from MIDWEST

Curious on why people would buy a stand on unit such as a Stander or Great Dane when you can get a sit down unit for around the same dollar amount? Probably has been discussed before but I'm guilty of not spending a ton of time on this site. Thank you for your much anticipated input.
  2. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

greater visibility, less trailer space
  3. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Much more stability on slopes.
  4. ferris_1972

ferris_1972 LawnSite Member

Better visibility, better on slopes are good answers. My reason was escapability if I ever had a problem I can just step off and not have to deal with handles and jumping off.
  5. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a 52" Everride Scorpion stander in July and it is my favorite mower to use. Great on hills, easy to manuver in tight residential areas, less trailer space, easy to see objects in front of you, plus, many people don't believe it, but I have found that I get less tired and fatigued on a stander than a regular zero-turn. It was also cheaper by about $1000 to a comparable mid-mount zero-turn.
  6. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Less trailer space plus you can get a stander into a tight corner where a z couldnt go but i would never buy one, i just hate them, rather have my pistol grip walk with a velke any day. Demoed one for 4 days and it seemed like it was the worst 4 days of my life
  7. RedMax Man

Was it a Wright?
  8. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

did both a wright and a everride the wright was far better than the everride but still hated both Been running a pistol gripe walk for 15 years and a z for several years now and i guess i am too stubborn to change or to stubborn to WANT to change
  9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You took the words out of mouth:)
  10. RedMax Man

If you had never tried Wright then i was going to say that the Wright Mfg. Co. designed the other standers for Great Dane, Everride ect. What happened is Wright sued them for copying their design. They won the lawsuit so the Bill Wright said they could pruduce standers if he designed them. So basically he made them worse by design so that one of the major problems found on other brands is the operator stands behind or to far back from the drive tires so they end up getting thrown around and arn't on the center of gravity. Also some of these other brands of standers can't move forward or reverse up and down slopes without loosing traction. Wright is the original builder and designer of this style mower so they are fighting to keep there product above the competition.