1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why are people so stupid?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLS-Tx, Jul 9, 2006.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

We got a call Sat about 6pm, guy wants to know if we can trim his bushes. He said he is selling his house, and a home inspector is coming, so he needs it done by Monday. It's been raining here for a week and this guy is not a regular customer, but of course he thinks we will just run right over.

What's with these people, they act like we are just sitting by the phone wating for someone to call. :hammerhead:
  2. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Some people don't know. They figure if you make a living cutting grass, you're desperately sitting by the phone waiting for their call.....

I'd call him back on Monday.
  3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm glad to know that it's not just me. You mean that all your calls don't live next door? LOL

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

The ones I love...when you sign up a neighbor of an existing customer, and the new customer says "Hey...you could just do mine the same time you do theirs..." I'm glad they figured that out for me, I was planning on doing one lawn, loading up, driving 10 miles to another house, then coming back to do theirs :hammerhead:

Yeah really most people aren't concerned or interested in how your business operates. And I'll bet if that guy keeps calling he'll find somebody to do his bushes.

What do the bushes have to do with a home inspection anyway?? They growing into the house???? :laugh:
  5. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Actually there are thousands of us waiting desperately for a call, some like me who have restarted in the industry or newbies or are looking for more work, give them the number of some one who is quiet in your area, still i bet he had no trouble finding some body.

6. rsls

rsls LawnSite Member

maybe he is in a bind and is not expecting you to run right over but rather inquiring if you can? just be honest, if you cant do it tell him and he will call one of the other LCO's on this site complaining that they dont have enough customers.
  7. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

My first thought exactly. Bushes have nothing to do with an inspection.
    If you agree to go take a look, you can probably expect a real mess... either that or he is just paranoid.
  8. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

We do all the work for a real estate company. The powers that be have told me that anytime we do a clean-up that all bushes and trees must be cut a minimum of 6 inches from the house. Says that if they are closer than that it is not good on the inspection. I don't understand it either but apparently this is a big deal if you are in real estate.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I find if this kind of call frustrates you then it means you are too busy, which is good.

I get them, too... But I have learned do NOT take these calls unless you are very desperate for the money because you will end up bending over backwards and doing a lot of work for just enough to cover your basics.

That's the whole principle of 'can you do it yesterday,' if you can, then you're not very busy, hence your prices are low. Whether the bit with the inspection is true or not, it doesn't matter, this customer wants fast work done cheap, quality would be nice.

If you're not in the mood to work for less, just don't call back or like sandgropher said, this is the PERFECT opportunity to pull out that number of that lowballer you saw the other day, refer that customer to that Lco and you've made the best of both worlds meet.
    And yes, you BET I keep the numbers of 1 or 2 lowballers handy at all times, hey, there's work for everybody and so long that someone is willing to do it for less, I can be of help to the customer AND that other Lco at the same time while I keep myself out of a situation I don't want, so then everybody is happy.
  10. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

My rent inspection jobs are the same it all depends on the real estate people ,how strict they are all my garden beds have to be free of weeds to, i guess the yard has to look tidy (diff people have diff views on what is tidy).

I should point out the guy in this thread says he is selling his house ( im talking renters) so he should trim bushes mulch garden beds etc to get a good price.