1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why are Snapper Pro WBs so much cheaper than everybody else?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Mar 13, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Just curious. I see their gear drive walks going for in the low to mid 2s, and their dual hydros in the 3s. How do they do it?
  2. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think that is much different than many others. Ferris has some around the low to mid 2's. I believe Husky, Bradley and Redhhawk are in that range and soare the Quicks.
  3. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering that myself.....a hydro for 3k not a bad deal?
  4. 8307c4

8307c4 LawnSite Member
    from VA

Start by looking at the gauge of the steel used.
    How thick is the steel in the deck, and the frame?
    Is it pure steel or an alloy, and if an alloy what kind?
    What about the brand of the engine?
    Paint type, and thickness, too.

All this makes a difference, and that's just for starters.
  5. tb8100

from TX

7 gauge steel top and skirts on the deck. Sports the same spindles as the Zs too I believe (same as Ferris). Most of their stuff seems to be of decent quality...
  6. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

A lot more goes into establishing the retail price of a product than just its "cost". The company's long-term market strategy, economies of scale, strategic alliances (and a dozen other factors) play a role in setting price. :dizzy:

Briggs (Snapper) may simply be applying predatory pricing to gain market share. "Freeze-out" all of your competitors and then own the market. It worked for the Japanese! :laugh:

7. tb8100

from TX

Could be. There are a few companies that may be doing that right now. Of course, they're doing everything they can to minimize cost so they can apply these lower prices, such as going dealer direct and doing nearly everything digitally.
  8. flhntr

flhntr LawnSite Member

just cause they put a sticker on a mower does not make it a commercial mowers
  9. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

That's so 1980's... now a days we say, "It worked for the Mexicans":laugh:
  10. YoungGun

YoungGun LawnSite Member

I have a Snapper ZTR with a 25 Kawa thing is comparable to my old exmark. i have also had 2 COMMERCIAL Snapper WB NEVER a major problem