1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why are Stihl engines so oily?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GravelyGuy, Dec 8, 2006.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I have a Stihl edger, chainsaw, and hedge trimmer. When I clean my stuff throughout the season, the Stihl equipment is always coated in burned oil. The fins on the engine are caked. My Husqvarna stuff doesn't have a thing on it but some dust. IMO Husqvarna two stroke stuff does not get the credit it deserves. The stuff is built to last. Anyone else have this problem?
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

No... never had that problem with getting anything on the fins and I've got stuff 4 or 5 seasons old that have seen very heavy commercial use.

You need to inspect your head gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets... and probably change mix oil too.

Stihl 2 cycle engines are "emmissions dirty" in that they by nature expel a good bit of unburnt fuel/oil mix. If you are using less than a supreme quality mix oil, less will burn, more will make it's way out, gum up, weep out of the muffler, ect...
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have a bunch of Stihl equipment too and I've never really noticed that problem. The carb might get oily over the course of a season but no more so then any other 2 stroke I've ever used.
  4. richard1103

richard1103 LawnSite Member

tork jug (head) i do not think it has a gasket if you run it too long it will
    mess up the jug and make it hard to start