Why Are there never any dixie chopper post

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by skidrowe1, Oct 17, 2007.

1. skidrowe1

skidrowe1 LawnSite Member

Is the DC a mower to stay away from ? I have only seen 2 post there. Been looking around before i buy cause research= money saved later.

2. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

they look like crap,cut like crap in comparison to the others. plain and simple. i have mowed beside one lco that runs choppers and the cut compared to my ultracut is shameful.

3. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

around here people seem to only use them for cutting areas along roadsides and things that are very long. ive seen a few companies that use them on nice lawns as well and they seem to do fine. i think i read they are not really reliable though?

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

What would you like to know? I've been using them since 2001. I've had zero breakdowns, one broken brake cable and one broken throttle cable. That's it in over 2,000 hours of use.

5. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll say one thing... they are ugly as hell. Don't look modern at all. Still look like a dinosaur ztr.

6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

our cutting crew runs one and and an exmark and toro w/b...the guys will take the toro out on everything but a hill. it stripes and cut nice and the only problems weve had is the e-brake cable and belt ingage belt went a couple times...also like i said its not the best on hills she slides around a lot

7. ballstar

ballstar Banned

I used to run Dixies in Florida, and I thought they were great. Mostly due to the fact that you can blast out some acreage and ride wheelies if you so desire. But, I do have to say that I could never do the things I can do with my Deere.

8. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I think money would be well spent going with Scag, Exmark or Toro and if you are in an area where the bad boy mowers are more prevalent look at them.

9. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I have owned two 72" choppers for a few years.. they cut and ride nice.

10. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

There was just a post on here about DC, seems they have just come out with a camoflauge model. Sure is purddy, now squeel like pig LOL