"Why are there ruts in my lawn?" she asks...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Whitey4, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Yesterday....Senior citizen, watches everything I do (two more accounts across the street).... John...Oh JOHN! I've got my backpack blower on, and she calls me over. "Why do I have these ruts in my lawn?" she asks.

I say, "Mrs. L, those are not ruts. You had ruts in your zoysia lawn all winter because the previous guy never changed his mowing patterns, They were there all winter. These are not ruts. It's called striping. It's a good thing."

"Well why does it look like that?"

"Because it's supposed to."

"Oh, like that house over there?"

"Yes, Mrs. L, like that house."

"Can you stop doing that?"

Finally, after a bad day of customers whining about just this sort of thing... I say... "Yes, we can rip out the lawn and install carpeting. But, then we'll have to find a vacuum cleaner that leaves no stripes on the carpet."

Just before that, the guy across the street tells me I took out a sprinkler head. I went from 2 1/2" to 3" cuts 3 weeks ago. NOW, I took out a sprinkler head in the middle of the f'n lawn? I don't make turns there, and no WAY am I cutting low enough to hit a sprinker head. 15 year old system, fatigued plastic, I rolled over it and it went.... but I get to pay for a new one.

The asswipe before that house came out whining too, this after I gave her two freebies, a spot spray and a small seeding job gratis.

After the "striping incident", I walked to the middle of the street, and screamed "Your lawns look 300% better than they did last year! Anyone want to complain about THAT today?"

They were all very nice when I went back for pruning today.

2. Top Dog Pavers

Top Dog Pavers LawnSite Member

where in LI are you out of?

3. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Sounds like you need a vacation.

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Da*n, there ain't nothing on TV tonight as entertaining as LS!!!:laugh::laugh: It just keeps getting better and better!

5. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

yup, gotta love LS

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I know that feeling thou...
    This is one of the reasons I worked long and hard to get just the types of customers I want...
    It didn't all work out exactly to plan (yeah go figure) but it did get better over the years.

Still, some days...
    I would tell you what I did just recently but I can't :p

Lets just say I see myself one day using the Z's FULL power...
    Not what I did, but today I have that mechanism in me...
    Not something I wanted.

That's strange and in ways scary...
    Stuff I saw other Lco's doing when I first started that just SHOCKED me!
    Now I see not only why and where they were coming from, but have found myself in those very same situations.

///////////////////

The hardest part I strain to comprehend, and am afraid of understanding...
    In some cases it really is innocence, they just don't know any better.
    But it kills me when it's the little demons doing it, that's like DUDE quit!
    And then when the S.O. gets in on it, in support of...

Most of mine are not like that at all, not ever.
    Those are just the kind don't last very long with me, unless it's just once in a moon, then it's not so bad.
    The striping bit, can't say for sure, I would've probably just said "Sure Mrs. L I'll stop doing that" and go on...

Funny what sets us off, it's not the same for everyone.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I got one for you:

I FINALLY understand WHY new home building contractors almost NEVER set up new homes with nice lawns...
    The home is fine, it's just the yard is usually crap.

One part really is that it's not their primary responsibility, but try and get folks to see THAT :laugh:
    Just not the nicest thing to try and explain, I guess...

The other part amazed me, thou it did make sense after I saw the picture...
    There is a small neighborhood around here, might be 20 or 30 new homes, and they were ALL built with Class-A beautiful sodded LAWNS! With working irrigation systems to boot!
    You would think Wow...
    I did...

Would you believe right now only ONE of those homes still has a beautiful lawn?

Here is why...
    Because they don't know how to care for it, it's not just the homeowners but they even call Lco's for help... It's nothing doing, you can't argue with or convince folks who haven't a clue, this is, however, a skill I might start to work on... If such a skill exists, if it doesn't take countless hours of free time forever and ever, I mean...

They fired me :p

But it takes more than just sod, a lawn mower, working sprinklers, or a call to Scott's or Chemlawn to KEEP it that way.
    Much, much more.

It really is true, beautiful lawns are, for the most part, no accident.
    Giving a new homeowner a beautiful lawn is actually a waste, most of the time.

8. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

i feel you. I mowed after a good rainfall and it left ruts in her yard(which is very nice) Im damn lucky that ive known her for 8 years. If this was a new accounty she would be saying bye bye.

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Seriously, one of the funniest posts I've read. Laughing out loud in the office like a buffoon...

10. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

And you want to call yourself a professional?:nono: