why are u asking for advance payment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 29, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

got into it, with a lady about our payment policy. she said, "that's rediculous, why should i pay in advance?" i said, "no, u don't HAVE TO, you can pay, after each service." she says, "when do u come?" i said, "i'm not sure, it's either wed, thurs, or friday." she goes, "well, i don't know if i'll be home!!!." i said, "ok, then, u need to pay in advance." she goes, "no way." i said, "ok, u want credit?" she goes, "yes". i said, "ok, i'll need your name, address, social secuirity number, your mothers maiden name, your most recent employers, your houshold income, and a "clue". we usually ask a question like, "what is your dogs name " and u answer it, to create a password." she stood there, looking into space. i asked her why on earth, i should issue her credit, without this info? u can't apply for a home depot charge card, without it

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Why would I pay you in advance when you admit you don't know when you will be cutting??? I would find another service provider. Its not like you are the only game in town...:hammerhead:

3. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Thats the problem Bob, you can put all these policies in effect that make sense.
    However there are a hundred guys waiting to get on their knees and kiss the shoes of that customer for the privilige of being their lawnboy. If they happen to get paid, thats a bonus to them, at least they got the job.

4. Bobby; Are you mowing for tennants? I'd demand cash in advance from a tennant on a property.
    I have one guy who's a tennant. I just flat told him "I have trouble collecting from tennants. Are you going to pay me?" He said yeah, that he'd even meet me at the job to pay me. I said no, just pay the monthly bill. I think he's a pilot for DHL.

Dave.

BTW it sure sounds tougher to collect in your area. Just from what you have posted before. Good luck with it.

5. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Most of our maint. accts. are annual. They are billed during the first of the month for which service is to be received. Those pay month-to-month need to have a deposit on account which we draw off of and refund any unused payments. One-time jobs are payable upon receipt of services.

Having clear policies assists in business operations. If a client chooses not to play by our rules, they can find someone else to do the job.

6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i never ask for advance payment. i know where these people live, i know their phone number, and i have a lawyer, so i will be able to get them to pay. just me. others only do up-front payment and some do it if they suspect foul play will be involved.

7. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I ask for a payment in advance yesterday. A lady called asking me to look at her property. When i get there it had not been cut yet this year. and probably not the end of last. So i called her, told her the 1st cut would be double. She said no problem, but she wanted monthly billing and was out of town. I said ma'am, i can't do that, i hope you understand, but it would be awfully hard for me to start working for you on trust, without ever meeting you. I asked if she would be willing to send me a check for the 1st cut? I told her when i recieved the check i would cut the grass and send here a service agreement she could sign and send back to me. Then i would bill her monthly and send bill to the address on the return envelope. She Agreed.
    How would you all of handled this?

8. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

you did it right. good job

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

yup, I'm in a similar boat except I have a collection agency and the power to play with their credit records should someone not pay. thou sometimes I get money upfront if it is a trust issue, most of the time I'm not worried about it.

10. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

You cut grass with a riding lawn mower I can get at Sams Club dude. Give me a break.