Why are WB so expensive?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ATVracer, Oct 11, 2005.

1. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I just recently got into this business part-time and am on the road to being successful. I already bought a new ZRT rider, 21", and new blower. I have other equipment as well. I really want to buy a walk behind to service yards where a ZRT is too big, and a 21" is too time consuming. The prices are way high for WB in my opinion. I know there is no comparasion of a WB to a typical 21" mower, but pricewise you could buy 15 decent push mowers to 1 new WB. Most of the WB are commercial and meant to be used all day, does anyone make a cheaper(price) WB? I only service around 10 yards, averaging 2 per day and I don't need a comercial WB. I missed a good buy on Ebay a few days ago. I guess I will keep checking as the season winds down. Any of you Indiana guys getting rid of one soon? Sorry to go on and on..........................

2. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

but have you looked at the Bradley/Redhawk line of mowers? Prices are very good anyway:D

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

ok so say you mow 25 hours a week in your part time business, most home owners mow around 25 times a year, taking one hour to mow, so your getting a years use out of a machine every week...... get it , it will last and take the abuse and use to be reliable and not let you down in the middle of a job...

4. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

If you are willing to drive to Indy here is one for you.

LAWNMOWER Hydro Walk- Behind, 36 inch, good con dition, $850. Please call 317-989-3934

And another
    MOWER 36 SCAG Walk- Behind, 14hp, Kawi, new tires & belts, like new, $1,250 obo 317-753-6758.

Look in your local paper as well.

I found mine in the local trader. Single owner owned by a Bed and Breakfast. They bought it new and only used it to cut 1.5 acres. Got it for 750$

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is going into a great time of year to find some good deals on used equipment.

6. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking at the Redhawk line of mowers..... 2K belt drive 3K? hydro... Both were 15 HP Kohler.
    Are these prices in line with other areas/dealers?
    What's the general opinion of these machines?
    How well does the belt drive hold up when pulling a person?
    From what I've seen, they are the best bang for the buck; I'm getting tired of walking my small Z out of ditches.

7. SWEET-T

SWEET-T LawnSite Member

Since We're On The Subject Of Walkbehinds. I've Got A 48" Ferris Gear Drive W/14 Hp Kawasaki Used Only 4 Times. Got It For One Specific Property And Then Lost It To Underbidding. Also Have A 32" Ferris Hydro That Was Used About 3 Months. Both Are In Great Shape And I Am Looking To Sell Them. Bought New For $5600, Lookin To Get $2000 For Each. Someone Help Me Move These Things. Thanks

8. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

While we are on buget WB's..... what's the take onhttp://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/lineup of machines? Anybody got a few hours on one?
    What's the word on the single pump transaxle.....Is it as capable and manuverable as a dual pump setup?

9. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I speak from experience when I say this...dont waste your money on a cheap home owner mower. It will break down. Keep using what you have and save save save until you can buy a used walk behind. Thats what I did and I found a exmark 52" TTHP floating deck hydro for $1200 it was a 2000 model and I bought it in 2004. It paid for itself 15 times over. I just traded it in on a lazer z 44" ztr paid cash and im a part timer.

10. exmark72

exmark72 LawnSite Member

what size are u looking for? if its only for a few properties might want to look at the deeres.