Why are we leaking at Valve?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ARGOS, Apr 27, 2008.

1. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

On new installs I am having a high ratio of leaking between the slip/thread coupling and the valve. I and my employees thread each coupling with 4-5 passes of tape, hand tighten until snug, and then tighten a full turn or two with channel locks. I am finding about 15% leak a small drip after install...what am I missing?
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

In California, you might just go to slip valves. Otherwise, use more teflon tape. Lots more, since some of that stuff is way too thin.
  3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Or use a thread sealant like Rectorseal or Whitlam.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Way too vague for useful advice, since those companies also make sealant that can destroy plastic fittings and valves. :hammerhead:
  5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You never quit do you. Let's assume the guy is smart enough to choose the correct sealant why don't we.
  6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Possibly bad valves? I don't know. I only make 1 or 2 deep layers on the tape for the male adapter. Are the fittings or valves old? Have they been out in the sun at all? What is the PSI before the valve? Installing them in the right direction:)?
  7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of valves are these? After 5 wraps of tape, Ive never had leaks like that.
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I usually do 4-5 wraps and no problems. What valves? How about the pressure? (not that it should really matter) Are you only doing hand tight?
  9. I would be willing to bet you are wrapping incorrectly...sounds silly doesn't it?

Wrap the tape in the direction of the tightening.....meaning when you tighten the male threads the tape shouldn't unravel.....also, wrap 4-7 tight wraps.....I have OCD so I counted while I wrapped.....1, 2, 3,,,4 ,5 etc.

Most important thing you are already doing, hand tighten plus 1 turnish....maybe 11/2 turns....don't overtighten. But I bet you are wrapping the wrong way.
  10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

It's funny, my #1 tech still screws up how to properly wrap the tape. He still gets it going the right direction, but the whole roll keeps unraveling as he does it.

Good call Tony