Why are we still screwing around with....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CBramble, Jul 3, 2006.

1. CBramble

CBramble LawnSite Member

Why are we still screwing around with 2 cycle trimmers and other 2 cycle equipment? Is there an advantage of 2 cycle over 4 cycle? I bought a 4 cycle trimmer last year when my other one went up and its the best thing I've done! I feel bad for the rest of ya'll that still have to mix that gas...:drinkup:
  2. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

In some instances 2 cycles are cheaper. Not to mention you save a bit of gas with 2 cycles. But thats just my opionon.
  3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Glad you are happy with the new stuff. When my 2-cycle sticks wear completely out, I'll buy 4-cycle. But not going to buy something just because it is new technology and it is a little inconvenient to make the mix.
  4. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a large fan of 2 stroke equipment. I have used the Honda 4 stroke. I didn't like it at all because it didn't feel like it had any balls. But its a matter of personal opinion. Also the handle position on the machine made my back soar so it put an even worse taiste in my mouth. Thats how I feel. Oh by the way .. Keep the four stroke right side up. don't want to turn it up side down now do ya.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not disagreeing in that both my 4-cycle trimmer and bp blower are awesome and I'll likely buy 4-cyclers from here on out...

But as for the gas, I still have to mix it, you don't?
    Yes, both my fs-100 and the br-550 4-cycler use mixed fuel.

6. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

2 cycles are superior to 4 cycles...2 cycles fire on EVERY revolution vs. every other revolution for 4 strokes thus more power for a superior job...2 cycles have fewer parts meaning more lightweight and less maintenence which means better reliability.

As long as I can buy a 2 stroke over a 4 stroke for this type equipment I will.

In 42 years I have NEVER heard of pre-mixing 2 cycle oil and gas for a 4 cycle motor (4 stroke oil is called 'motor' oil). IF you indeed need to mix the oil and gas then sir you have a 2 cycle motor NOT a 4 cycle...HUGE difference...
  7. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Splicer, It's called STIHL 4 mix. Go to Stihl's web site and read up about the 4 mix engines.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Stilh makes a 4 cycle that uses Mixed gas-

Do they make 4 cycle that does not mix gas but have a sump-- I would be afraid to turn that over??

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry Lazer-- I am a slow typer and see that you beat me to the answer:laugh:
  10. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

;) Even an old dog can learn new tricks:dancing: ...I stand corrected and thank Lazer Z for pointing this out:hammerhead: :laugh: I NEVER would have imagined but now that you mention it my buddy bought a Stihl pole saw brand new a couple months ago from the dealer and it is indeed a fuel mix motor...