1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

why are websites so expensive

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by bobcatnj, Feb 10, 2009.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

why are websites so damn expensive to get made by a professional? i have been getting quotes from 3500- 5000. i must be in the wrong business
  2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

3. If you are getting prices like that then my friend you are looking for too much from your website. I would dare say that a 5 page website for a lawn company shouldn't cost no more then 700 to 1000 give or take a few bucks, find small companies to build your site.
  4. tatmkr

tatmkr LawnSite Member

Those prices are most likely for a flash site. (The pretty ones where everything moves) A static (html) site such as this one should cost $500-$1000. Lots of companies have decent website creators coupled with their hosting, Yahoo is a good example of one stop shopping. By the domain name from GoDaddy and move over to Yahoo to build your site in an hour or 2. Personally I used Publlisher o build my site and I can constantly change it, and I only have about $100 invested total! www.dublinlandscapes.com
  5. yard_smart

yard_smart LawnSite Senior Member

I do web design and SEO work when we are slow in the winter . . . Give me a call and we can get your an order put together that is sure to bring in the customers
  6. ritchiem

ritchiem LawnSite Member

Some companies have minimum prices for site and they adhere to standards. Mind you that sounds like an overpriced fee. What were they going to give you for that kind of money? Where they going to setup billing features or other backend databases? Where they going to create any apps for you to make your site more feature rich? Or was it just going to be a simple site with a few pictures?

Prices really vary when it come to how much time is involved...but there are some people out there just waiting for the right person to say...um ok lets do it.

Bobcat, tell us exactly what you are looking for in a website. We should be able to give you a ballpark on what you should spend.

7. WebMan

WebMan LawnSite Member
    from D/FW TX

What will those sites do--cut the grass too?

Any service contractor web site should cost nowhere near that. Maybe $1,000 tops usually $200-$500

I have an acquaintance that I refer people to who want really "way out" web sites with lots of Flash & moving stuff --all kinds of special effects and he's REALLY good...he's in that price range but he's way overkill for a lawn care site -- you don't need images moving on the home page people have to chase with the mouse to hear a sound clip then click to go to a page where more things move if the mouse gets close and sounds change all the time etc.
  8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

It shouldn't cost you near that much. Mine was less than a thousand. Search around...
  9. ritchiem

ritchiem LawnSite Member

Geez webman you don't charge enough...if you charged more you could afford your trip to Cancun :rolleyes:

It is a shame there is not more of a standard on these things. Anyone is allowed to charge whatever they want.

I do agree that $200 - $500 sound right for a basic site. When you start getting into SEO and staying on top of it then the price goes up.
  10. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

wow, enough web guys looking for work to make someone sick.. and not one of them is s sponsor?