Why are you an LCO?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tall Rider, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Tall Rider

Tall Rider LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I was wondering why you all have found this line of work. I personally love mowing lawns! To me there is nothing prettier than a nicely landscaped lawn that has just been mowed, especially when it is striped! It's even prettier when I have done it, it's truly something of pride. Sadly I have never got into mowing full time. I just mow my own lawn or family, to much hard work for the effort you have to give. Right now I'm in heaven because I'm volunteering work at my local Airport, and part of my duties and the highlight of the week is getting to mow with there brand new KUBOTA ZD21 PRO! Unfortunately there is no real turf grass on there property, we have to use it like a DR FEILD AND BRUSH MOWER!
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

President and Senators were taken :D
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

medical school was already full..... :)
  4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

When i grew up, they didn't know what A.D.D. was so I ended up here.
  5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes I like to cut grass. I kinda dig the look of a lawn serviced well..
  6. Tall Rider

Tall Rider LawnSite Member

Cool guys :D How about the rest of y'all?
  7. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Started when I was 12. I'm almost 40 now. Never wanted to stay in it. It was always temporary. Long story, but I have multiple other gigs working now and expect this will be my lasy year mowing. Sometimes I enjoy it. Other times it is just work.
  8. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

bet that's what you thought 25 yrs ago. :cry:
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

For me it was inevitable. I was that kid at 12 years old pushing my 3 horse 20 inch mower from house to house and cutting 1/4 acre lots for 5 bucks. We didn't have trimmers back in those days so the grass just got tall up next to the house until it fell over and got mowed.

Then I worked a succesion of jobs from Cat 980C operator to service station manager to carpenter. They'd last 2, 3 or 4 years until I got bored and moved on. I did that nonsense for about 20 years. Then one day a elementary school buddy asked if I wanted to be partners on a LCO. I said sure, let's do it. Well he lasted about 2 months. I'm still here working on my eleventh year and making more money in one year then he does in five.

Make no mistake though, I work to live, not live to work. This work allows me to work at whatever pace I feel like. I like being outdoors all of the time. I can take my time and do a nice, quality job and I don't have a boss breathing down my back tell me to hurry up. Trust me, I could do anything. But being a LCO allows me to put all of my best qualities forward, from management to people skills to quality of work performed.
  10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Not much use for a male gigolo in a town of 275.

Might as well cut grass I guess. 17 years now.