1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why are you better then the other guy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DynaMow, Aug 20, 2006.

1. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

I here it all the time, I do excellent work, the other guys service is crappy.

Well what makes you better? Why should your customer notice a difference? What do the other guys do that is bad?

I have many reasons, but would like to hear yours first.
  2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

We're not for the most part.

We're dependable and reasonable.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

we return calls quick, go out on estimates quickly, and show up for service EVERY week. it's all about being dependable. that's where a lot of guys lack. see, many guys are carrying a full time job, and mowing is their side gig. so being dependable comes a lot harder to them since they already put in 40 behind a desk or at the factory, so sometimes they let their lawns slide. we don't. our business is the sole way we support ourselves and our family. and dependability goes a long long way, we've been told this countless times by our customers.
  4. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

I always cut on the same day. Of the couple I know, They are never on a Schedule.
  5. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Sometimes its tough to cut the same house the same day of the week when you have 60+ accounts
  6. 1MajorTom

I agree with this statement. when I say we are dependable, we are, and we have each day of the week planned out. but sometimes things happen.... such as RAIN. so sometimes thursdays customers will get bumped to friday, then come the following week, they get back to thursday.
  7. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I agree, But I try to cut on the same day. I think I've messed up one week so far.

But, I've gained 3 customers from this, So.
  8. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

We have about 100 accounts and do them the same day each week. We also return phone calls quickly and do what we say. In our area, most grass is either Bermuda or St. Augustine. Most LCOs set their mower height before they go out and keep it the same all day. Even though it takes a little longer (2 minutes) we adjust the height on our mowers all day depending on the customers yard. Additionally, our area is experiencing extreme heat and drought conditions (with watering restrictions). However, our lawns look so much better than the competition because we have increased the mowing height considerably. We recently took over several accounts from another LCO and we have received several calls from these new customers complimenting us, saying that their lawn has not looked as good as it does in a long time.
  9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

We charge more so the customer perceives the job to be better. I mean if you pay more for something don't most people think its better, or why would it cost more? :waving: Also were full service.
  10. 1MajorTom

I believe that is true when it comes to retail... however i do not perceive it to be that way in the service industry.
    if i get some estimates on a roof, i will throw out the lowest and highest bid, and choose someone in the middle that i am comfortable with.